• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Menopause

Nyx

I guess this is for the ladies in our little group...

Any of you going through menopause with a stoma? I think I'm starting (thank God!!! I'm looking forward to not having the periods from hell) and so far it's alright, but I'm finding I'm really sweaty...everywhere...lol How does one keep one's bag on when one is having hot flashes from hell??? I can't take hormones as they give me massive headaches (although I'm not sure if they're more or less tolerable than sweating my ass off at this point). When I get a flash, the sweat just pours (literally) off of me. It's pretty gross...lol And then the next minute I'm freezing. Isn't it great being a woman "of a certain age"? lol

annawato

Staff member
Nyx I am absolutely with you there. I first found my periods would stop every time I was ill but now I haven't had one for over a year and I am relatively well now so think its now menopause. The sweats are horrendous. Today was only 20 - 21 deg celcius but I had sweat pouring off me. My hair was wet, my clothes were damp and I had to strip down to a singlet only to be freezing an hour later. I'm so glad you posted this cos I was beginning to think there was something else wrong with me as its a lot worse than normal (normal menopause sweating that is). I don't really get hot flushes, I just get hot and sweaty. Not sure what people mean by hot flushes. Plus my skin is worse than its ever been. Not pimples like the teenage years but lots of micro whiteheads, if that makes sense. The only good thing is that my eyesight has also deteriorated so much that I can't see them except up close with glasses on. :) :) :)
Though perhaps thats a bad thing. I used to wonder why older women didn't do something about a pimple or blackhead. Now I know - they couldn't see them.
Fortunately my moods don't seem to be affected any more than usual so really I think I'm getting off lightly. I'm 50 so I guess its about time. How old are you? If you don't mind me asking.

Nyx

I'm going to be 43 in a few weeks, so menopause seems a bit early for me, but it's the only thing I can think of. I talked to my mom and she started having symptoms in her early 40's as well. I don't mind starting, as I'm sooooo done with having my period (which has gotten worse since my surgery...it's like I'm a teenager again) and yes, the acne!!! Again, it's like I'm reverting to my teenage years, but with a lot of sweat...lol I've actually bought Proactiv (you see the commercials on tv) and it's working on the acne like a charm, but I didn't think I'd have to be dealing with breakouts at my age. I don't think my moods have changed, but my fiance may be a better judge of that than I am...lol

Thanks for the reply Anna, glad I'm not going through this alone :)

:ybatty: Ahhhh the joys of being a girl! I don't think I will be able to help you much, just know that I sympathize with you! I had my ovaries removed with the ile surgery December 2011. I will also be 43 in a few weeks, too. Anyway, when I went into a sudden postsurgical menopause the insomnia and sweats were AWFUL. You feel like a lit match. I have a hormone patch now (I call it my stick on ovary). It has helped greatly. Mine is a low dose estrogen patch (no uterus either, come to think of it--I don't have many innards left---LOL). Maybe you can see your Dr. and have your hormone levels checked. Not sure what options you have over there, but it can't be much different than things here. I have friends that take natural supplements with some benefits. Hang in there! :rosette2:

Hi Nyx. I have been in menopause for almost 2 yrs. I got the call on my 43rd birthday that YES!! My levels came back that I am indeed full blown change!!

Best gift ever. No more hormonal Crohn's flares. I do get the sweats but only during the day especially in the Summer. The rest of the year I'm ok. Bedtime I'm either very cold or hot. I LOVE IT. NO MORE BUYING PADS, NO MORE RUINING MY UNDERWEAR, NO MORE CRAMPS, NO MORE HORMONAL MOOD SWINGS, AND NO MORE WEIRD CRAVINGS BEFORE AUNT FLO HITS.

Oh, if I do sweat a lot, I will wrap a towel around my head to soak up the moisture. have fun!! lol

I've been an ileostomate for 27 years. it's doing well.

I went through surgical menopause at 22 and have been on estrogen for 22 years (eek! :smile: ). After colectomy last January I had heart issues that they never could figure out and my estrogen was stopped for 9 months. My Ob/Gyn recommended Remifemin over-the-counter to help with hot flashes, as it was (her words) "one of the few natural remedies that won't thicken your blood." It took about 6 weeks for full effect, but it did help the hot flashes enought that I was finally able to sleep through the night.

http://www.remifemin.com/Home.aspx

Luckily, I only had a few issues with the bag not sticking. I change every 3 days anyway, though.

Last edited:
My doctor suggested 500-1000 mg of calcium for hotflashes and within 2 days they were gone!!!!

Also, Black Cohosh was a life saver for anxiety. OTC herb, but should check with your doctor. ST. Johns Wart worked too.

Sending lots of support your way...... and yes, no more periods!!!!!

I am 58 and due my 4th bowel resection on the 13h June,I started menopause aRound 51,I have always found Soya Milk really good. For menopausal symptons,so much so,have never suffered with hot flushes etc or sore Breasts,I do have however have Vaginal Atrophy which is absolutely awful (Complete dryness).definaltley awful if you also have a sex life,I do use Vagifem pessaries 3x 10mg weekly to try and help with the situation,I hate being post meopause,I really do,it does have it's setbacks,although I am nearly 59.i still feel like a 25 year old most ofthe time,except for my Crohns,now that's another issuexxxxxxxxxx

Nyx

My doctor suggested 500-1000 mg of calcium for hotflashes and within 2 days they were gone!!!!

Also, Black Cohosh was a life saver for anxiety. OTC herb, but should check with your doctor. ST. Johns Wart worked too.

Sending lots of support your way...... and yes, no more periods!!!!!
I'm going to go and get me some calcium!! Fortunately I don't suffer from anxiety or depression.

The Remifemin I mentioned is black cohosh... you might try it if the calcium doesn't do the trick. I was already on calcium when I was taken off of the estrogen, so I needed something more.

Hopefully the calcium will do it for you!

I just wanted to say SNAP Snap. I too lost both ovaries in a bowel resection, recovery was interesting what with sweats, mood swings and insomnia! Also, snap, I will be 43 this year. OMG, must have been a shortage of good bowel in the supply room in the early '70's.

Hi, I had my last ovary removed last year, ( it was stuck to my bowel which then perforated 4 days later), that is why I now have a stoma. I didn't want to go on HRT so gyni doc suggested red clover which has helped with night sweats, I have never been a big 'sweater' and was always cold, not anymore!! She also told me I need to take calcium.
Hope this helps.

annawato

Staff member
I finally went on HRT last month after a blood test shoed I had zero oestrogen. Yes zero! I was very hopeful it would stop the awful sweating, aches and pains depression etc etc but so far to no avail. Maybe I need more time..... However while researching what else could be causing the sweating I discovered that most SSRI's cause sweating - when I stopped mine (I was already on a low dose) the sweating stopped but depression returned. :(. So I've restarted the SSRI and am just putting up with looking like I jsut jumped out of the shower!!! Anything is better than depression, but perhaps its time to try some of the natural therapies suggested.
:heart: anna

I have been on HRT since my early 20s due to surgical menopause. I hate being without my estrogen! There are different types of estrogen, Anna. You may just need more time, but you might also need a different type or a stronger dose.

I was on Premarin for years, but then started having migraines that came every 2 weeks and had me bed bound for 3-4 days each time. I switched to Estrace and no more headaches. There are also different forms--pills, skin patches, injections. Many different options.

Definitely check out some of the natural remedies to enhance what you are already taking. I sincerely wish you a quick turnaround. The sweats and mood swings are the pits, and depression is not something to mess with.

Big HUGS!!!!!!!!

I have been on HRT for a year now. It was partly because I didn't know where I was bleeding from and also I put up with enough with the crohns and couldn't cope with hot flushes on top of everything. I am on a very low dose but it does the job.

Well I thought I was in menopause , hadn't had a period in 18 mos while taking hormones ( premphase). When I was hospitalized in January I had one! Then another one month later! After tests, GYN said the stress from being sick started it all up :ymad:

My body was so screwed up 5 years ago I had to start on hormones. Has been a life saver! But even with the premphase, when ever I go on prednisone those hot flashes rear their head!