• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Men's swimwear for competition

Hi Folks, I've had my ileostomy for nearly 2 years now and I'm so keen to get back to the sport I loved - swimming.

I have found a great solution for open-water swimming which involves a stoma guard belt underneath my wetsuit. This works really well because everything is snuggly held by the neoprene suit (in fact you can hardly notice the guard plate)

But I'm now looking for swimwear for indoor swimming i.e. not the full wetsuit. All I can think of is cutting up an old wet-suit above the knees on the legs and somewhere below the shoulders to cover the abdomen, but not sure how this would work.

I have high waisted shorts which are fine for bobbing around in the pool, but I'm looking for something better for indoor competition swims.

Has anyone ever seen such a product for men?

nogutsnoglory

Any surfer long bathing suit should be high enough to cover you up. Ostomy Secrets makes nice designer swimwear for ostomates. Also check out stealth belt they are good for sports.

Catherine

This is where it gets tricky. How competitive do you mean? There are rules about what can be worn in competitive swimming. See below.

That being said we know of a young man who has permission to wear a swimsuit similar to a female competitive swimsuit due to a medical condition.

http://www.swimming.org/assets/uplo...lity_Guidance_Note_130210v4_Re_PrintFINAL.pdf

This means - among other requirements - that the swimwear worn at swimming competitions (including Masters swimming) held under ASA rules must be the following shape1:
for men, it must not extend above the navel nor below the knee, and
for women, shall not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder nor shall extend past the knee.