• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Menstrual pain and IBD

Maya142

Staff member
Like back pain or do you mean menstrual cramps? My daughter had bad cramps for 4-5 days when she has her period. She was SO miserable - curled up in bed with her heating pad. She also had diarrhea with her period.

The cramps got so bad that she was sent to a gynecologist who put her on birth control. That has really helped.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
That sounds like J - we're still trying to decipher whether it is menstrual cramps or flaring. She gets diarrhea too. It does seem to wane after a few days. Hopefully they'll not keep doing this each month. I'm hoping the prednisone just put her off her rhythm and now that she's getting back on track this will stop and she will not have the problem every month.

I have horrible cycles - cramps, pain in my back and hips, diarrhea, headaches. Definitely isn't just an IBD thing. I wouldn't wish the misery on anyone, especially a child.

crohnsinct

T has a really tough time with the pain and it is hard for her to distinguish if it it ibd or menstrual because she is so irregular. So we just wait.

My oldest non ibd daughter had it super rough when she was a teen. So much pain and vomiting the first couple of days. They offered birth control but she didn't want it. She is 21 now and it isn't as bad.

O just has run of the mill cramps and can totally tell the difference between ibd and menstrual.

T had her scopes Friday and it was only second day of her period and this weekend she was really suffering. Was begging for Motrin.

Last edited:
My daughter's "unexplained stomach pain" gets much worse around period time. It's mentioned quite a lot on the adult forum I read too.

Yes!!!! I have mentioned this a while back. Caitlyn suffers horribly during her period. Her crohns flares up and she gets terrible pain and cramping. We also just spoke with the doctor about birth control pills but she is not ready to go that route yet.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
At one point I was put on BC pills (but I'd been married for a bit). My periods were all over the place because of my UC. I'm sure not pressuring for being on them, but one good thing is that they regulated me. The ones I was put on were the ones new moms are on just after they have their babies. Not as much of the hormone to them and it only had one hormone in them rather than two.

crohnsinct

P.S. if you are on mtx and over 16 the docs want you on birth control pills. Because of the risk of birth defects.