• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mental Effects of Crohn's

Hello, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in October 2012, suffering badly since February 2012.

It was a hard transition initially and I spent a long time in hospital, I lost my job in London and soon after had to leave my London flat. I coped well enough with all the physical pain, injections on a bi-weekly basis, and the fistula.

I can't cope with the mental side effects of the disease. I was 19 when I was diagnosed after spending over a year unemployed and recovering form a very long flair up, I find it hard to leave the house. I've got a good system at home to cope with it, i've been working full time again now for 3 months (apart from one hospitalisation for 1 week) and I can't find a good system for working with crohn's.

I've tried altering my diet to something similar to the 2-5 diet which actually is more like a 3-4 diet for me and I am loosing too much weight now. Have also tried regular eating healthy amounts every day and my bowel movements are just too painful to go that often.

With all the medication being tired and in pain at work is making me very depressed, making me self concious, giving me a strong OCD tendency and everything lately is pushing me over the edge. Anyone else had anything like this? Discovered any coping strategies?

I can say that having a miserable disease likes Crohns should be enough for any of us, but you me and many others on here have a hard time dealing wirh all the perphial problems that come along with it . I can say for me this forum has been a life saver. No matter what you are struggling with throw it on here minimally you will find you are not alone with your trouble .

Hello Lucy,welcome to the club no one wants to join!congrats on getting back to work,I read what you said about your diet it's difficult to get a handle on it get aware of trigger foods,things that set you off!then avoid.you,ve probably done this already but bland your diet out for a couple of weeks chicken,boiled rice,fish,homemade soup from stock cubes veggies we'll cooked or blended bizarrely for me curry not spicy is fine for me relieves the monotony plenty of turmeric in it a natural anti-inflammatory,speak to your dr or especially
Your gi nurse mines of very useful information.good luck all the best

Hey I'm new on here too but I agree with the others posting on here really seems to help me. like today I'm having a very depressed day I'm glad to hear you could get back to work I'm hoping to be working again by winter that is my goal anyway if I ever get this thing under control. I hope things get better soon and until then lean on those who understand!

Im currently on maternity leave and prior to that I had a part tim job which was only 8hrs a week. (Also a student) my sickness record for both my job & my college was the length of my arm! Now i dont even leave the house as im constantly anxious that something bad will happen if theres no toilet near by! I dont think enough is done for the mental effect this has on you. Im a mess! But at the same time im embarrassed to talk about it. Its a vicious circle.

I am new here. My 18 year old daughter has Crohn's and has been trying different treatments which have worked for awhile then stopped. Her doctor is now going to put her on Imuran and I am freaking out. Possible side effects are blood cancer? We seem to have no choice here. When your child tells you "I don't want to die" what can I say.

The leaflets that come with medication there such a joy to read not!don,t stress about them it's a tiny increase in the risk factor which will or would get picked up ages before anything develops and remember your daughter will get regular blood checks if anything she,s less likely to develop anything,being informed is great but dr google as you,ll know isn't,t that great,far better to check nhs website or the USA equivalent and this website is pretty good but nothing on here should over-rode anything your drs or hospital say.the other thing I always think and believe there,s a lot of money and effort going into research into crohns,there will be an answer.

gi infection and inflammation is known to cause anxiety and depression.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/09/gut-feeling.aspx

as for diet consider the SCD diet or some version there of, eliminate lactose and sucrose from diet and make homemade yogurt, buy the book breaking the vicious cycle to learn more.
a multi -strain probiotics may help your anxiety, in addition to everything mentioned above.