• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Metal pouch clamps or double locking clamps for ostomy

Ok, I was wondering if someone knows of any other pouch clamps other then the normal ones by holister and convatec? The other companies make the same sort of ones and after hours of research I can not find any new styles.

I am currently using the Holister one and works great - UNTIL you hit the little release by accident - then we all know what happens - DRAINAGE

I am looking for that is either metal or one with a double lock - if there is one manufactured. If not I am going to start designing one and looking for any suggestions or ideas. I think it is crazy that they do make one that is a light metal one with a double lock. I am pretty sure they want us to keep buying these, but something more secure would make more sense and provide use more security.

Thank you for any input !!!!

Ok - here is my 1st design with some materials I had around the house.

Drilled a hole to allow a small threaded knurl knob I had. Since it was plastic it allowed it to be threaded right in. It goes in from the front to the back and does not allow the released to be depressed. If for some reason the release does get depressed it will NOT allow the center of the clamp to pull out.

To use it all you do is simply unscrew the knob so it is not in the path of the release - you DO NOT need to completely remove the knob for the clamp to properly work.

Once you are done redo the clamp and re-screw in the knob and SECRURE you are.

Few things I can see as a concern in design "one" are -

Metal knob will rust if worn in the shower (will use a normal clamp for this short time)
Metal will set off medal detectors
Screw is small and if fully removed can be lost (DO NOT remove all the way)
Adds to weight of the deivce (barely any, but still adds)

Pros -

Double lock and very concern
Quick and easy to use
Can be added to most disposable clamps
Knob can be reused

ANY THOUGHTS or suggestions let me know - THANKS

PS - calling the company that makes the knobs tomorrow to see if I can buy like 100 of them - LMPO. If anyone is interested send me a private messege and I can help you out if I get them.

Attachments

Last edited:
I agree, I am sure I am NOT the only one that has had this happen and it NEVER is good. I am sure that someone has a better idea or some improvements. Think we could all use something like this.

Thanks for your support :)

I switched to convatec clamps for the very reason that hollister is much much easier to release which I did the last time I wore it. I actually like the velcro kind more so that's what I'm wearing but if I needed to I may have to borrow that idea. It looks like a much safer bet and more secure. I'm always nervous though about the other side as well. It would be great to get an entire clamp made out of aluminum so it wouldn't rust, or is that titanium, maybe even carbon fiber as they would last forever and there should be no problem at all with them.

I used to be a mechanical designer and I have some friends with CADD and plan to call them tomorrow and start working on a concept - when I have one made I will send you one Jeff to wear test for me.

Not sure, still doing some research - wanted to do carbon fiber, but I hear you can not have the tolerances you can with metal.

That makes sense. I think aluminum would work fine as titanium costs way too much. It doesn't have iron in it should be fine going through airports.

Have you tried the old clips that came with the bags with Convatec?? I do know that if you don't like the Velcro, Convatec will send you samples of the plastic clips. They were very reliable. I use to wear them way back when I first had my ostomy back in 1986. It reminded me of a clamp but only in plastic form. Give the company a call and talk to a rep.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
i dont have clips on my pouch, i have velcro, thats ok but it can stick to your pubic hairs when your driving!!!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
What about making the screw out of a nylon material? Not sure how durable it would be, but then you wouldn't have to worry about metal detectors etc.....

And Merry - OUCH!!!!!!!!!

OK - so as an update I have attempted to contact the manufacture of the screws I use and they no longer make them. I am still trying to find someone that will manufacture them for me. I thought I found one, but they wanted $8.00 a piece for a min of 100. Really is a small screw, you would think I was wanting something to hold the space shuttle together.

I will tell you the screw idea does work very well and I have NOT hand any issues. I like this simple idea, since it is a quick modification to an existing clamp, so it is cheap and easy.

I meant with a designer last week and we looked at several clamps and we are currently looking at designing a new one. I would like to make one that will not have any failure concerns with a double or triple lock, that is reasonably price - time tells all.

As soon as I have more information I will pass it on - thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.