• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methatrexade??

Today i'm starting Methatrexade after years of Aziothioprine. To be honest, I have been feeling okay recently, but because the fistulae have restarted, my doctor has prescribed me to Methatrexade.

The dosage is really high (25mg once a week) and I'd never heard of this treatment before, so I was wondering if anyone here takes Methatrexade (with folic acid) and how it is??

Thank you!

ahh Methatrexade is so confusing! I just read the leaflet that comes with it, and in the section where they list the uses for Methatrexade, it doesn't mention Crohn's or anything to do with Crohn's at all! It's for arthritis and cancer and things like that! Confussssssssed....

I take methotrexate along with humira. Methotrexate works by preventing your body from using folic acid, or something like that, which is why you need extra folic acid to be able to be used. Something along those lines lol

I'm currently only on 7.5 mg, but was originally on 25, so that's a normal dose.

Unfortunately I can't answer that. Neither Humira nor methotrexate have helped me, and I've given them both more than the time needed to work. Sorry!

I seem to remember the doc saying methotrexate should have noticeable effects by 1 or 2 months, with full effects noticed by 3 or 6 months.

Last edited:
Thanks and you're welcome! I've heard for quite a few people that humira and methotrexate are just the right combo for them and it works wonderfully for them, so hopefully that's the case for you!

How are you getting on with your mthx?

Hi, I've been on Mthx for over a year now. I inject myself weekly on a Friday avo. I have a quiet Sat and normally pick up quite well on Sunday. I do find myself battling my mind over matter just before injection time. But I overcome that with a small reward for injecting myself . I have good days and bad days, but they seem to balance out. It's a good place for support here. One thing I am careful of, or try to be, is not getting a flu bug. I got one recently and that was nasty. My crohns has been managed well and I have not had a flare since I started. Good luck

im glad to hear youre feeling better!
yeah i take the flu shot every year cos the flu always makes my crohns worse.
well i started methatrexate 2 months ago and the dose was pretty high so my doctor made me stop for 2 weeks then lowered the dose. so far i havent seen too much of a change cos i still have fistulae, but apart from that i feel quite a bit better!

Methotrexate does interact with folic acid, as mtx is an antifolate, as David says in the wiki article (...). Essentially it inhibits cell replication and if you took it all the time in sufficient quantity you'ld shrivel and die. However, you rescue yourself by taking lots of folic acid which swamps the mtx and allows some cell division. Cancer cells, immune system cells and intestinal mucosa cells divide rapidly and consume lots of folate, so they are hit the hardest by the lack of available folate and the other enzymes/purines/etc byproducts.

I took it for 4 months and hated it, I was rather glad when it was implicated in a (false) heart scare and greatly exacerbating my asthma.

Hope it works better for you! (of course many people do get on with it, I was just unlucky).

I just started metho about a month ago. I have noticed a huge difference in my condition and feel like maybe I could be going to.....(hopefully) remission? I started the Folic acid supplements also. The injections tend to make me really tired for about 24 hours. Now that I am on the folic acid the side effect after the shot is less though. I dont really notice anything else besides being tired. I am on metho with weekly Humira, and my metho mg/wk are the same as yours. I have noticed a lot of good so far, and hopefully that is the same with your metho treatment.