• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate and Prednisone - Effect on diagnostic colonoscopy?

Basic question: Will a Methotrexate course that ends on the 10th of the month and a Prednisone course that ends on the 19th affect the results of a colonoscopy on the 31st that is supposed to r/o Crohn's?

I have had fibromyalgia for decades, and periodically have been checked for various autoimmune diseases, but nothing has ever shown up in testing. Last winter I had a wicked bout of diarrhea and my fecal lactoferrin was positive. A subsequent level was negative so it looked like it wasn't Crohn's, despite a long history of what I had always thought was IBS. Probiotics helped my symptoms so we decided to let it go and not investigate further - until I developed an exquisitely painful "sausage finger." Again, all the blood tests were negative. They are currently calling it Psoriatic Arthritis, despite the fact that I've never had psoriasis. I was started on NSAIDS, which didn't help at all, and I started having minor bouts of diarrhea with blood flecks; we thought it could have been from the Indomethacin, but the flecks went away when the diarrhea did even though I was still on the Indomethacin. Since the Indomethacin didn't do anything but give me vertigo, I was started on a course of Prednisone (20mg/day x 1week, then 15mg/day x 1week, then 10mg/day x 2 weeks) and Methotrexate (10 mg 1x/week x 4). I took my last Methotrexate dose tonight and will finish the Prednisone on the 19th of this month. Since the arthritis could also be from Crohn's and that is still an open question, we decided it would be best to rule it out for good. But - I don't want to go through the colonoscopy (I just had one 3 years ago) if the answer is going to be "There's no evidence of inflammation, but that could be due to the Prednisone and Methotrexate, so we STILL don't know for sure." Both the rheumatologist and GI PA say that will be enough time for them not to affect the results, but I have serious doubts (I'm the one that has to go through that awful prep, after all!). Anyone have any words of wisdom?