• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate for recurrent abscess

Hi Everyone,

After 4 surgeries, wound care and 6 long months my son still has a perianal abscess. A fistula was not detected on MRI 2 weeks ago. The abscess is open so it is not too painful right now but he is a 15 year old about to start school and hopefully sports in mid August.

His fecal calprotectin has gone up a lot as the wound has worsened. I think it is time for a stronger med and his doc would like us to start with methotrexate. He already did the preliminary testing.

He has no D or other symptoms of Crohns, perianal disease is it. He was diagnosed with the only symptom being growth initially.

I was just wondering if anyone with perianal disease has had luck with methotrexate and your experience with side effects.

Thanks.