• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate In Short Supply

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/h...e[/wiki2]-a-cancer-drug-may-run-out-soon.html

"Ben Venue Laboratories was one of the nation’s largest suppliers of injectable preservative-free methotrexate, but the company voluntarily suspended operations at its plant in Bedford, Ohio, in November because of “significant manufacturing and quality concerns,” the company announced.

Since then, supplies of methotrexate have gradually dwindled to the point where oncologists now say they are fearful that shortfalls may occur at many hospitals within two weeks."

The article only mentions the injectable, so I'm hoping that means that the pills' availability isn't compromised. I use the injections, but the pills could be a short-term solution until this gets squared away.

Hi,

Just fyi - it's only the injectible methotrexate that is in short supply.

I much prefer that over the pills but I guess I'll have to take the pills for now.

(by the way, I take mtx for a different issue)

KWalker

I heard this is a problem with a bunch of different medications, but I heard a problem is in Canada with lack of medicine for a short period of time so pharmacies will have to ration the meds they give out.

Just a heads up (and this is from personal experience so it could alter) but I've been on both Meth. pills and injections and there's no comparison. For me, the pills did nothing but made me sick all the time, and the injections actually worked and I only got headaches from it. Like I said, everyone is different but I'd hate for you guys to be stuck with these pills and start going downhill.