• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate side effects

Hi everyone
I just started taking methotrexate tablets and was wondering how long before i'd know if I was going to suffer side effects? I'm feeling quite breathless which is odd but not sure if I'm imagining it!

You may not be imagining it. There is a thing called methotrexate pneumonitis - inflammation of the lungs:

* Methotrexate pneumonitis is an unpredictable and life-threatening side effect of methotrexate therapy.
* Presentation is often subacute with symptoms often present for several weeks or months before diagnosis.
* Presents most often with cough, dyspnoea and fever. May progress rapidly to respiratory failure.
* Early diagnosis, cessation of methotrexate, and treatment with corticosteroids and/or cyclophosphamide are important in management.
* There is a high rate of recurrence of lung injury after re-challenge with methotrexate.

I stopped it because of giving me serious lung/chest pain, and completely wiping me out for two days following the dose.

If in doubt got to your doc.
Beth

Oh my... I can totally relate to shortness of breath. I am currently on MTX. Looks like its off to the doc's with me! Thanks for posting that.

Quick question, MTX has been working well for me but if I have to stop it what would be a good substitute for it? I am also on Humira.

Aza/6mp plus allopurinol, cyclosporin, but really you shouldn't need adjunctive med's as well. If you're not on weekly Humira injections you should bring it up with your GI.