• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate Success Stories??

Hello All,
My son has been virtually symptom free since being diagnosed in 2011. Used EN and Pentasa only, after an initial taper of prednisone. In March he started experiencing bellyaches and has since had them on and off the last 7 weeks. We implemented a new diet and supplements since April 3rd, but I feel like I don't have the time to wait anymore and need to consider a new maintenance drug. My GI likes Methotrexate, but of course I'm so fearful of all these drugs. Just looking for some success stories and Happy IBDers after beginning this treatment. How long did it work? Was the nausea unbearable after the shot? I know many go to 6mp, but with all the adolescent boy risks of cancer, I cannot even think about that drug. HELP!!!
Angel

My son was on MTX in the oral form for a little over a year and half, with no side effects. This was along with Remicade infusions every six weeks. There was disease progression over the last year so we have dropped the remicade. He recently got a new dx of spondylitis so his rheumatologist switched him to MTX shot, he has been on it for almost five weeks now and no side effects.

nogutsnoglory

Methotrexate may have helped I'm not sure but it was too hard on my liver.

I know you want success stories so I'll just say that it's helpful in preventing cancer in many cases and that's a positive as opposed to some of our other options.

I started Methotrexate shots about 3 months ago with no side effects. I also take Pentasa and Entocorte. My problem is that I have an ulcer where they rejoined by colon 10 years ago and I bleed so am anemic and have low iron. Hopefully the Metho will heal the ulcer and put me in remission. I think it might be helping, have to get a blood test in a few days to find out.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Methotrexate may have helped I'm not sure but it was too hard on my liver.

I know you want success stories so I'll just say that it's helpful in preventing cancer in many cases and that's a positive as opposed to some of our other options.
its good in preventing cancer? could you inform us more on the subject?
thx a lot,
LO

In response to the initial question, methotrexate has been keeping me on remission for about a year now.