• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate

Hey everyone,

First off, how is everyone doing? You guys ready for the fall and winter months? I know I sure as hell am!

Anywho, has anyone here ever taken methotrexate for crohn's disease, and did it help? Any side effects i should be concerned about? Any particular things i should stay away from (certain meds or alcohol?)...I ask about alcohol because my 21st bday is next Saturday :) and I was wondering if i would be able to have a drink or two. I'm not a huge drinker...its been since before my surgery since i've drank and that was almost a year ago...so, yeah....hope to hear from you guys soon :D

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

There's a few people around who take, or have taken, mtx for their Crohn's. I've been on it 6 weeks now, just got up to the expected full dose of 20mg weekly.

Side effects so far: I take it monday night, tuesday I feel like someone has filled my head with lead. Sometimes I can think straight but mostly it just 'all too much' and I often just go to bed and doze the day away. By wednesday I'm mostly okay but brain is still relatively borked. I dont usually feel human again till thursday. Apparently you 'get used to it', but I dont know how long it takes. Some people feel fine on it and have no brain fog issues.
Blood tests weekly are a pain and I'm looking forward to being allowed to slip them to once a fortnight as the inside of my elbows where they take the blood is now very sensitive.
Efficacy wise I'm not too sure what it's done. I'm relatively asymptomatic as the residual inflammation is up by my terminal ilium so it doesn't tend to cause me noticable problems.

Ha ha! forgot about that bit! - mtx brain fog!

I'm not a great drinker, but I do like my malt whisky. The patient leaflet says avoid alcohol or limit the amount carefully. So if I have a drink I tend to have a wee dram at a weekend, and it really is a wee one at that.

So umm, very careful with drink I'd say. Not that it makes you get drunk noticably but the additional loading of booze isn't going to do your liver any good.

Thank you guys for the responses!!

I did my first injection of 25mg yesterday and I feel absolutely dreadful. My girlfriend came over after work and said I was as pale as a ghost. I have no want to eat anything even though I am hungry. I also feel like I am drained completely...mentally and physically. I'm hoping this doesnt go on too long because I'm in the process of looking a job, and I can't exactly work and be efficient if I'm feeling like this all week lol. Do you have any suggestions of how to beat the side effects? If anyone has any additional info, please let me know.

Thank you!!
Brandon

This is your first dose?... blimey that's really is going to hit you! I ramped up from 7.5mg to 20mg in 2.5mg tablet steps.

Haven't found anyway round the side effects yet! if you find any then do shout here! I'll be very interested as at some point I'm going to have to get a job.

When is your Folic acid dose... That does help, but it can negate the effectiveness of the mtx - which is an anti-folate as you probably know.