• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Microbial dysbiosis in spouses of ulcerative colitis patients: Any clues to disease pathogenesis?

Lady Organic

Staff member
What does the author mean?:'' Thus, this study shows that the microbial profile might be partially transferred from ulcerative colitis patients to healthy individuals.''

Im not sure I get it... How could we transfer microbiome?

The only thing I can think about to explain that people living together share similarities in microbiome is because they usually eat the same foods and have the same lifestyle.

Lady: Well the other possibility of which after many years of study is that there is
a slight chance that IBD is contagious, I still cannot 100% rule it out. There are a few cases of where the none IBD spouse somehow came down with IBD,whether crohns or UC.
Who knows for sure, I don't.
You can research crohn's clustering,and such.
Old Mike

Lady Organic

Staff member
I just found and read the full article.
im thinking if microbiome could be transferred, doctors, nurses and medical staff would be vulnerable/ impacted as well. I really dont think this is the case, quite the opposite actually, so ''we ear''...

And as the author says: ''the microbial profile of individuals cohabiting with IBD patients should also be compared with that of healthy controls living in the same geographical area and socio-economic conditions to minimize the impact of unrelated environmental factors.'' And i would add a comparison of diet. This still sounds like the obvious to me.