• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Might be Crohn's? Depression? LDN?

I have been to the doctor a few times and he just prescribes me Nexium and to have a nice day. However, it doesn't help. My symptoms are bad abdomin pains, every morning i feel like dry heaving or like i got to throw up, ever day when it's time to leave work I get the bad stomach pains and dry-heaving again. This is going to be pretty gross, but sorry it's a symptom and that is it seems like my butt leaks. I wipe very very good and when i go back to the bathroom i have small marks.

There is only one thing ever to have help with the pain, but it is highly addictive and I would never try to use it as a treatment. That drug was oxycodone. I read up and Loperamide (Imodium) is actualy an opiate that does not cross the blood brain barrier. So, I tried using it and it actually did make me feel better but it of course made me constipated (so did Oxycodone).

As a side note I do have issues with depression and anxiety. I have been off and on various anti-depressants. All of which do absolutely nothing but cause bad side-effects. Again, the only drug to ever alleviate my depressed feelings, remove anxiety and help me focus was Oxycodone. Obviously, it's not a valid treatment for this either.

After seeing how such a "terrible" drug such as Oxycodone could basically cure all of my ailments I started reading to find out more. Well, turns out that Oxycodone is almost identical in chemical makeup as Endorphins in the body. Endorphins are our bodies natural opiate. More reading I found people with similar symptoms as me and also came across Endorphin Deficiency Syndrome. Which is not recognized by the FDA yet, but is basically the body does not create enough endorphins. The main treatments seem to be LDN (Low Dose Naltroxene), DL-Phenylalanine and acupuncture.

So, I researched LDN more. There are recent published results that LDN was successful in treating Crohn's Disease (go to lowdosenaltrexone . org). So, I had no idea what Crohn's disease was and I began to realize that I have some of the symptoms of Crohn's.

I don't really know what I am asking. What I am just doing is puting my story out there to see if anyone else suffers from similar things and have come across similar results. As well, I want to know if anyone has tried LDN.

Have you had anyone suggest IBS? It is called a disorder between the brain & the gut. It is not very well understood but I believe that many meds they use to treat it are more psychological than meds for Crohn's. I am NO expert on this, but from what you are saying, it sounds like a GI might diagnose you with IBS?
check out wikipedia on it, I find it a very interesting disorder, but it is very different than IBD which is chronic inflammation of the intestines.
There are quite a few people on here who have used LDN as well as people who have been diagnosed with IBS (sometimes incorrectly) but still, there should be some people who will have more helpful comments than I! :)

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I checked out IBS and have been looking into it as well. Right now I have no insurance so I can't afford the expensive tests that a GI wants to do. I did unfortunately try to self-medicate with oxycodone for a little bit, but it turned into a terrible addiction that I have now kicked. But, now I am back to square one before I ever took the oxy and dealing with the terrible .

I didn't realize IBS was a more psychological disorder, so that really interests me too now. I will definately check back in here and post my results.

Any disease that causes inflammation, is also capable of causing anxiety and depression.

It is not always the cause, but if you can quell the inflammation, you will find out if that is the source of the problem.

It worked for my depression. It was caused by Crohn's related inflammation.

Dan

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Your GI symptoms can align with Crohn's, but they also could be caused by many other things, one being stress. The one symptom that I wouldn't think stress would cause would be a leaking bum. However, IBS could be the cause.

I would certainly keep an eye on things. If your symptoms persist, I would recommend seeing a GI, insurance or not. Remember, your health is #1!