• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mild crohn's-not looking forward to more than mild

I've been battling fructose malabsorption for about 5 years and have done really well with diet and keeping it under control. Im a endurance mountain bike racer and have even excelled at my sport through years of trial and error.
I just got diagnosed with crohn's after having severe diarrhea for 9 days and ending up in the hospital. Im waiting for lab work to come back on a bunch of biopsy's they took while doing scopes and my glands in neck are really really sore to touch so I may have more going on than just crohn's.
But wow crohn's has really thrown me for a loop my guts really hurt and food just doesn't seam to work well at all. And my energy level is so low I don't want to do anything, which is really weird for me I usually train on my bike 10 to 16 hours a week.
I guess some of it could be my anemia which Ive struggled with for 6-7 years and my numbers are really low right now but as usual I can never find a doc that is willing to really do anything about the anemia except to say take iron.
Any advice is much appreciated.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. Don't give up on mountain biking. I think it's great you're doing it.

You may not get crohns complications. It's important to knock the inflammation out quickly. Often doctors will agressively treat the inflammation. Keep a food and symptom journal to identify trigger foods.

I hope you get remission quickly.

Definitely get that anemia taken care of. I take 65 mg of iron a day to function. Three days without it and I'm sleeping 14 hours a day. I, too, love mountain biking. I've never been an endurance ride but I used to get rides of 12-25 miles in without any major issues. A couple years back things flared badly and I developed a fistula that would bleed after only 4 miles on mild trails. I was devastated. I could get up to ten on a buddies FS 29er set up but due to my budget all I could afford to do was add a suspension post. It helped some but not a ton. After a year or so of Humira I started getting out more and can now get a twelve mile road ride in. It isn't much, but it makes me happy. Plus a local ski area here in VA put in a downhill MTB park last year and even though my little hard tail is about to die, I get out there two to three days a week and ride all day. It helps that I'm standing up most of the time ;). But I still have my fun, just in a little bit different way.

Do you really notice being of iron for just a few days? I've tried all kinds and amounts of oral iron for 6-7 years and have never noticed anything and my anemia has never really improved on blood test either.

Do you really notice being of iron for just a few days? I've tried all kinds and amounts of oral iron for 6-7 years and have never noticed anything and my anemia has never really improved on blood test either.
Yeah, usually less than a week and the fatigue and exhaustion set in. After two weeks my short term memory goes out. And yes, I did experiment to see. I travel a lot (put 47k miles on my car in 18 months) and wanted to know what would happen if I forgot my meds and couldn't get more.