• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mild Crohn's?

Is there a such thing as mild Crohn's? I just had a colonoscopy today, and the doctor told me I had mild inflammation. I thought you were either in a flare or not...

Inflammation can be mild(like simmering) or severe. You might want to goole some images of CD colonoscopies, first type in mild then severe or similar wording and look at the differences and maybe you can get a better idea of where you stand. You could also ask to see your slides/disc/pics that way you can visualize what your GI is considering mild.

It depends on what you consider a flare. As some people say they are in a flare when they start experiencing symptoms, which generally sends them to a doc where they do tests and determine their CD is still not completely under control. Other people go for a really long time with out symptoms and consider themselves in remission then due to a checkup colonoscopy find inflammation has been simmering and causing damage. So, even if you don't feel like your symptoms are "flaring" the CD isn't completely under control if you have mild inflammation, and that is if you decribe remission as complete mucosal healing and no active disease. Of course, this is just my interpretation, and others with more experience or better understanding of the scientific definitions of these words and phrases will hopefully be by shortly to help you out!