• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mint Chocolates at Trader Joe's

E was excited. I sure hope pure chocolate is okay for him. If I take it away now he will not be happy with me, lol.

I did pop them in the freezer though. They are not for eating all.the.time. Just for treats.

Hmm... those look delicious! Might have to see if I can order some online to find out for myself.

That is one thing I've noted - I've been decently well to the gut of late. I take notes on my diet, noting big and small changes in what I eat. I'm not sure why I'm becoming healthier to the gut, but hopfully with the notes will be able to eventually figure something out, if I'm lucky.

It's not SCD safe, but fits OK with paleo I suppose, I've been eating dark chocolate for awhile. It's advertised as being heart healthy. My favorite chocolate is Ghiraradelli's. As a kid I used to visit their chocolate factory, so I have a childhood bias for them. Of late my grocery store has been low in stock in Ghirardelli chocolates, so when the store was out, I would instead purchase the brand Endangered Species dark Chocolate. I figured there wasn't much difference between the two. I have noticed the coincidence though that I began feeling better to the gut once the store began having stocking problems with Ghiraradelli's.

I have seen also on the labels a small difference between the two chocolates. Ghiraradelli lists that they simply use "sugar" in the chocolate mix. Most likely this is cane sugar as around 80% of sugar sold in the US comes from cane. Endangered Species also lists sugar but they are more specific - they say their chocolate blend uses water filtered beet sugar. I'm guessing beet sugar is more environmentally friendly and that is why the company makes this distinction on the label.

I would be greatly surprised if this was an answer for me, but it has occurred to me that commonly used cane sugar is a member of the grass family, related to problematic for many wheat, corn, oats, rice, etc. In a way the idea fits somewhat with what is mentioned with the SCD diet - avoid sugars and grains, but curiously honey is fine.

Cocoa that doesn't include other illegals is highly debated with SCD. It is allowed on Paleo and on GAPS. I decided that it will be our only SCD illegal for now. We are only allowing the kind without any sugars at all. It is interesting about the beet sugar though. Maybe we will try that in the distant future. Cane sugar is highly inflammatory. Maybe beet sugar isn't as bad? hmmmm......

KWalker

Beach, I believe the dark chocolate I've been having is that brand but because it's only 70% it does have some sugar in it so I think that's why it gave me looser stools.

These chocolate mints would be sooooo good! Chocolate mint is my favorite!

I'd be surprised if the cane sugar was a piece of the puzzle. It's such a pure product, somewhere around 99% I believe. I wouldn't think there would be much irritating substances left to react to.

But then again cane sugar is from the grass/grain family, so possibilities are there. Would certainly be nice if my GI issues could be bundled up as a being a problem with grains and substances made from them. Fits somewhat with what is mentioned with the SCD.

KWalker - I've seen warnings on some or maybe it was just one products warning, don't remember, saying the dark chocolate bar can cause diarrhea. I get the feeling if to much is eaten it will be a natural laxative. Not quite the atomic laxative hospitals give for GI testing, but its natural effect might be an issue for some.

Doing a quick Google search I see mixed messages, many claiming dark chocolate caused them a good deal of stomach issues. Others writing that it isn't much of a problem.