• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Misdiagnosed

My doctors have told me that sharing my store may help me and others. In March of 05 I was diagnosed with colitis by July it was turning into colon cancer. I was taking 36 pills a day, 120 mg of prednisone and I think we can all agree that stuff sucks.

In Sept I had the surgery they removed my colon & rectum. I had a temporary ostomy. I hated it. It was 13 weeks of hell for me. The bag wouldn't stay on, I was using duck-tape to make them stay. And the supplies were so expensive.

Then in Dec I had the reversal of the ostomy, I now have a internal J-pouch made out of the small intestine. Everything was okay at first. By 2007 I felt sick again, my doctor at the time told me it was all in my head. He called it sympathy pain, said it wasn't real.

In Nov of 2009 I went to the ER and by this time the hospital staff knew me very well. They did a CT scan the doctor came in told that I had an abscess and fistulas. Then told me that I actually had Crohn's the whole time and was misdiagnosed. They were ready to remove my small intestine and put me back into an ostomy. It was falling apart so badly they didn't think they were going to able to save it. By the Grace of God it haled in a week.

When all of this happened they took me out of work put me on disability. I don't have much of social life anymore I get tired of explaining this and some people look at me like I have the plague.

I have a hard time maintaining my weight. Last year it dropped to 92 lbs now I have spinal problems, nerve problems and I'm working with a physical therapist to rebuild the muscles.

This has changed my life in many ways more then I ever thought it would. With the strength of my family and God I've been able to get though it and it's one day at a time now.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi Blonde,
First let me welcome you to the forum. I was DX with crohns a year and a half ago and also had a ostomy bag for about 9 months and then they revered me. I'm doing ok even though my crohns is not under control yet.
I wanted to tell you about my wife. She has UC and had the "J pouch" and then they ended up giving her a ilyostomy that is permanent. They removed her colon and closed up her backside. She is doing very well.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that people here understand you. I went from 180 down to 123lbs. I'm back up to 163 now.
I know first hand what you are going through and most the people in this forum do. I find it a great help going to the chatroom and talking to my friends in there. Please stop by and see us sometime, i think you will find it helpful.
Keep your head up.
Jim

Hi BlondeBunnie!

You are not alone. There are a few other members here who also were initially diagnosed with UC that later turned out to be Crohn's. It can be difficult to differentiate in some people. I hope you will stick around here for awhile and find some peace of mind in that we are all in this together.