• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Miserably bloated & gas x not helping.

I seem to be at the start of a flare, and I am so bloated. It's been going on for days, and gas x isn't helping at all. I'm belching a ton, gassy, and my stomach is really distended and hard. I look pregnant. I'm very uncomfortable. :(

Any tips for relieving bloating?? Peppermint tea & ginger tea aren't doing much either. I can't eat solid food without my belly getting huge.

nogutsnoglory

Ugh that's the worst I'm sorry. How much gas X are you taking? I need 2 pills of the max strength 125mg when I'm having a lot of gas.

I find a warm shower and massaging my abdomen helps break things up and move things along.

I've been taking 2 of the max strength ones on the morning and 2 in the evening, and the box says not to take more than 4 in 24hrs, so I'm taking as much as I can.

That's a good idea. I'd try a heating pad too, but it is hot out today! Maybe if it cools down later...

nogutsnoglory

Speak to your doc, it's likely they will prescribe something stronger or let you go above 4 in a day. Sometimes doctors do recommend higher than an otc label but I have no clue on this particular drug or if it's ok for you to do so.

I think beano has wheat in it, and I have celiac.

I've been more on the constipated side of things than is normal for me, but I've still had multiple bowel movements each day.

afidz

Super Moderator
If you are starting to have troubles going, you might be starting to develop an obstruction. I would contact your doctor and let them know your symptoms so you can be monitored. You you start to feel worse don't hesitate to go to the ER.

Bean-o and gas-x work mostly on gas produced due to sugar decomposition in the bowel. It is possible that the gas you are experiencing is related to other causes. If you have had a change in bacterial flora because of a change in medication, beano and gas-x may not work. Dietary changes could also be the result. Some probiotics may be a good idea if you can take them. You don't mention it, but are you passing gas right now? If you are passing it, the chances of this being due to obstruction are much smaller

afidz

Super Moderator
If it's the beginning of an obstruction it could be the cause especially since they mentioned bloating and firm abdomen. Either way, it's important to bring up to the doctor.

No major dietary or med changes. I'm passing gas and still having bowel movements. I'm still bloated this morning, not quite as bad, but I haven't tried eating anything yet!

I did have really severe bloating last time I had c diff, but this go around nothing's had the distinctive awful c diff smell so far.

Plaidknitter, I feel for you! I too get bloated easily, but not as much trouble with gas. I was going to recommend ginger tea it helps me some. Lifesaver mints help too. Heating pad is good too. Also I think I have figured out a higher salt content and spices make me feel bloated as well. Not sure if this helps, but good luck to you!

I did end up calling the GI, and they called in an rx for bentyl. I've never taken it before, but they thought it might help. Eating solid food is still not going so well.

afidz

Super Moderator
I wouldn't imagine it would. I'm a little confused as to why they prescribed it to you. Bentyl is antispasmodic, so it is helpful to those gut wrenching contraction-like cramps that we all know so well. If you're having gas pains...bentyl is not your best option

Yeah, I don't know why they chose to prescribe it, but I was desperate enough to try it! I need to call them again in the morning. The only thing it has done is to give me dry mouth and itchy eyes (most of the itchy is from allergies but seems like the bentyl made them a bit dry and therefor itchier).

I'm still really bloated and nothing is helping. I'm only eating tiny portions of really bland things right now, and even a tiny bowl of plain rice is leading to huge bloating. I'm still having cramping too. Not cool. Still no diarrhea though, and last time I has bloating this bad was with the c diff but even then the severe bloating came and went interspersed with annoying but tolerable levels of bloating. This is now 5 or 6 days of huge bloating. I just it to stop so I can eat!

I'm planning to call them again once they are open. What symptoms did you have when you were obstructed?

My daughter has severe constipation from nerve damage and she's gotten impacted many times, and her docs always said that if she were obstructed that she would be vomiting/extremely sick. We've had to take her to the ER to rule out obstruction several times.

I haven't had any vomiting, and I'm still having bowel movements and passing gas. But my stomach does that any time I eat solid food, which is not good.

One day, my youngest niece asked if I was pregnant lol. I was very distended and my stomach would feel hard even when I was going to the toilet. You can have a partial obstruction in which you would continue passing stool. When I had full obstructions I would be violently sick and severe cramping pains. It could be IBS, but you need to ensure there is nothing else going on.

How did they diagnose your obstruction? They usually do x rays for my kid.

The GI prescribed the bentyl over the phone, so they didn't actually see me or do any tests. It's been less than a year since my last set of scopes, which showed mild chronic inflammation in my stomach and c diff from the stool sample. I wish my diagnosis were more clear (currently at definitely has GI problems but can't say it is or is not IBD for sure, but I have had inflammation on some scopes and looked fine on others over the past 8 years).

Last time, I think it was a barium meal and follow through that showed I had strictures. I had about four balloon dilatations but the last time he could hardly get the scope out. I didn't go into hospital when I had obstructions, I stopped all food and pain medications and waited them out. I would never recommend this as I think that I came close to dying one of the times, I almost passed out just before I threw up. I hate hospitals, stupid it know. I therefore never had X-rays when I was obstructed, but even when I wasn't having a severe blockage, I looked like you do in the photos. This time I had a CT scan which showed no inflammation but 3 small strictures. If you have narrowing, then you will have obstructive symptoms even if no inflammation.

Hmm, I haven't had a barium small bowel follow through since I think 4 years ago. That time everything looked okay, but it went through me abnormally fast. That is at least less of a pain in the butt than redoing scopes.

I was meant to have one this time but the X-ray department told my GI that a CT was better. I think because barium can block you although never has with me. The CT scan was a breeze comparatively

Every time I've had the barium, it has gone right through me. I've only had a ct once, I think 10 years ago, and it was the easiest of the testing I've had done.