• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Modulen drink

Hi. I have had Crohn’s disease since I was a child and I remember they gave me modulen to drink. I’m now 34 and recently they told me my calprotectin levels were over a thousand but I do not have any symptoms even though I think that’s high. I recently bought some modulen online, it’s the genuine stuff from a chemist. Do you think it’s safe to take without a prescription? I’m surprised they sell it without one.
Thank you for your help

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Modulen powder is available without a prescription in the US - it can be ordered on line. The 'real' stuff is made by Nestle.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I think the drink in itself is safe to drink, but I think if you're planning to use it as a replacement for food you definitely need to let your medical team know. I was on modulen for 6 weeks as an adult and had to be very closely monitored. If you just plan on using it as a supplement you should be ok as long as you get bloods to check vitamin levels (too much of certain vitamins can be risky)