• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Modulen vs Pediasure 1.5 cal

My son has no problem inserting an ng tube nightly to receive Pediasure 1.5 cal. He is gaining weight (finally!). I was reading on this section about Modulen. On its website it talks about being for Crohns. We can't seem to get inflammation down and Humira isn't getting it done for him... Would Modulen do this for us? It says it has properties to reduce inflammation. Does the Pediasure not have this property

My son gets half of his caloric intake right now at night to help with weight gain. I'm new to the EEN world

I think when they are discussing the properties they are also assuming complete EEN ie. formula feeds only, not EN. The mechanisms is suggested as follows:

Elemental formulas are thought to induce remission in
Crohn’s disease patients by providing chemically synthesized
amino acids that are entirely antigen free thus
limiting the patient’s exposure to dietary antigens that
may precipitate or exacerbate a Crohn’s flare
source

Info on elemental and semi elemental and list of products:

Elemental and Semi-Elemental Products
Elemental and semi-elemental enteral formulas are nutritionally complete but their building blocks are broken down into smaller components. This modification may be beneficial in cases of malabsorption. Elemental formulas contain individual amino acids, glucose polymers, and are low fat with only about 2% to 3% of calories derived from long chain triglycerides (LCT). Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) are the predominant fat source. MCT can be absorbed directly across the small intestinal mucosa into the portal vein. Semi-elemental formulas contain peptides of varying chain length, glucose polymers and fat, primarily as MCT.
Examples: Peptamen Junior, Peptamen Junior 1.5, Peptamen Junior with Fiber, Peptamen Junior with Prebio, and Vivonex Pediatric, and Elecare
Pediasure 1.5 Cal is a calorie dense formula, is this what your son is on?

Here is some info on it:
Calorically Dense Products
Calorically dense formulas are nutritionally complete and provide more calories per serving than standard enteral products. They may provide equal to or greater than 1.5 kcal/ml. They contain protein, carbohydrates, long chain triglycerides, vitamins and minerals. These products may also include fiber.
Examples: Boost Kids Essential 1.5, Boost Kids Essential 1.5 with Fiber, Pediasure 1.5 Cal, Pediasure 1.5 Cal with Fiber
source

There was a study that indicated the type of formula used to induce remission didn't matter but what seemed to matter was the it was EEN(exclusive enteral nutrition) and not EN as a supplement. I'll try to round that paper up as well.

Last edited:

Tesscorm

Staff member
I don't know if there's a difference in ingredients/properties so that one formula is more anti-inflammatory than another. However, I think Clash is right in that it may not be so much the ingredients/properties rather than the action of 'exclusive' allowing the bowel to rest with little irritation and work???

Keep in mind that while Peptamin or any other formula may have anti-inflammatory properties, there are certain foods that are themselves inflammatory.... if you are ingesting the formula but then also taking in inflammatory foods, you may offset the formula's anti-inflammatory properties (while still retaining it's other benefits - nutrition, etc.)??? Have no studies on this, just me thinking 'out loud'.

Since diagnosis, Stephen's also taken 1000 mg of krill oil (which is supposed to be anti-inflammatory). I've also tried (unsuccessfully :ymad:) to add in certain anti-inflammatory foods to his diet - coconut oil (see my recipe in kid's diet section for chocolate coconut oil truffles - what kid doesn't like truffles! :ybatty:), coconut water (not juice or milk), papaya...

Spooky1

I also use coconut oil for its anti inflammatory properties. I have tried many formulas including modulen. I can't really say which is best for which person. There are dairy based ones and fructose based ones which don't really suit me. I'm on Vital 1.5 at the moment.

Spooky1

That's a bit strange. I wonder why? Perhaps it won't be available here anymore or perhaps its a question of big pharma taking more control. Still there are plenty out there, but its finding the right one for you. We are all different.

good luck.