• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mom, child with crohns...we are newbies

My son was diagnosed with Crohn's in March of 2013. He is on weekly shots of Methotrexate...we had 2 really good weeks, then he ate an apple and the next day some carrots. We are in full flare mode :( I thought for sure he would feel better for longer then 2 weeks. It is depressing to see your 9 year old boy just cry in pain.

My heart goes out to you.
It's so hard to watch our babies go through this. If we could we gladly take the pains from them.
Their's no rhyme or reason to this blasted disease.
I know some said always cook the veggies. Raw veggies MIGHT irritate the track. But some others have no problems with raw veggies at all.
What has his GI said about the flare?
Oh, welcome aboard. HUGS

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Welcome to the forum. I know you will find the support you need and want here. There are alot of Mom's with kids here that have IBD, Welcome.

His GI dr. just upped the steroids. We were in the precess of weaning off of them when it happened. This morning he is acting like his normal self again, teasing his sisters and wanting to play the WII. His appetite is no where near back to normal. I just get anxious about him being on steroids too long.

Just his regular multi-vitamin. They have him taking extra folic acid because he has a weekly shot of methorexate too.

Welcome Kristy, sorry he is not feeling well, many of the meds can take a while to work to get things under control.
We did not let our son have raw veggies and most fruits for nearly a year he ate bananas and applesauce and very cooked veggies and rather sparingly at that.
We are over 3 years past dx and he pretty much eats everything he wants to know besides popcorn and seeds.

Hi Kirsty

welcome to our forum - you will find plenty of advice and support at your fingertips here, just sorry to hear about your son, poor wee soul, hope 'they' manage to get things under control soon

love, hugs and best wishes from all of us here x

I remember my parents, even my dad who is an MD, being pretty helpless when I was first diagnosed at 14 and super super ill. hang in there! it took me a few years to stabalize then since then, like others have said, flares come and go often with no ryhyme or reason. I know certain foods trigger me and everyone is different that way but I know even in my healthy times I wouldnt dare eat a raw carrot! apple maybe but there is something about raw carrots.... anyways, as his mom I would suggest reading/exploring alternative diets (gluten free), anti-inflammatory foods and a big lifesaver for me is fresh veggie/fruit juices, although it may be hard to get a 9 year old to drink cucumber kale juice, you never know till you try:) good luck and stay positive. stress feeds this disease so keep it at bay!

I am so sorry for your son. I know you feel overwhelmed and want to fix it as soon as possible.

You will find so much support for yourself that will keep you strong for him.
There are so many helpful, caring people that will listen, give the best advice they can and laugh and cry with you.

It did take over a year for our daughters meds to all start to work together. But many others find relief sooner. I hope they find what works for him very quickly.

We avoided lactose and maltodextrine products during a flare, because it seemed to make it worse.

YOu can add EN ( formula) while on steroids- protects bones and helps weight and growth for kids with IBD.
DS drinks Peptamin jr.

see discussion here-->

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=36345

what do they have him on for long term maintenance ?
good luck
We have tried the Peptamin several times...he hates it!!! He sees the container and almost throws up. Smells have really triggered his gag reflex. Broccoli cooking smell made him run to the bathroom...he use to love broccoli :(

I am so sorry for your son. I know you feel overwhelmed and want to fix it as soon as possible.

You will find so much support for yourself that will keep you strong for him.
There are so many helpful, caring people that will listen, give the best advice they can and laugh and cry with you.

It did take over a year for our daughters meds to all start to work together. But many others find relief sooner. I hope they find what works for him very quickly.

We avoided lactose and maltodextrine products during a flare, because it seemed to make it worse.
One of the hardest parts has been that he has always been so healthy. Like never had strep throat, not even an ear infection. This has been so hard on him to be sick, he just doesn't act like himself :(

I remember my parents, even my dad who is an MD, being pretty helpless when I was first diagnosed at 14 and super super ill. hang in there! it took me a few years to stabalize then since then, like others have said, flares come and go often with no ryhyme or reason. I know certain foods trigger me and everyone is different that way but I know even in my healthy times I wouldnt dare eat a raw carrot! apple maybe but there is something about raw carrots.... anyways, as his mom I would suggest reading/exploring alternative diets (gluten free), anti-inflammatory foods and a big lifesaver for me is fresh veggie/fruit juices, although it may be hard to get a 9 year old to drink cucumber kale juice, you never know till you try:) good luck and stay positive. stress feeds this disease so keep it at bay!
I do feel helpless. Today he cried and said this was all his fault for eating a corn dog when he knew it would hurt his stomach...but that the only other option at school lunch was raviolis and those are disgusting, haha. He just wants to eat what his friends eat...it's a hard lesson to learn when you are only 9, that it's ok to be different :)

We have tried the Peptamin several times...he hates it!!! He sees the container and almost throws up. Smells have really triggered his gag reflex. Broccoli cooking smell made him run to the bathroom...he use to love broccoli :(
:lol2: Sounds familiar, my son would stand at the sink and take a sip of the formula then a huge mouth full of water rinse out his mouth and gag. Took him 2 hours to drink 1! I started blending it with berries and some frozen yogurt and it made it like a shake I put it in one of those insulated cups with the straw, so he couldn't really smell it and he would drink that and then I decreased the amount of berries/yogurt until it was just formula.
He is also older and we were at the point where it was not optional anymore, his weight had dropped too far and it was going to happen one way or another. 8 weeks later and he can drink one in about 2 minutes now and doesn't really mind the taste anymore.

:lol2: Sounds familiar, my son would stand at the sink and take a sip of the formula then a huge mouth full of water rinse out his mouth and gag. Took him 2 hours to drink 1! I started blending it with berries and some frozen yogurt and it made it like a shake I put it in one of those insulated cups with the straw, so he couldn't really smell it and he would drink that and then I decreased the amount of berries/yogurt until it was just formula.
He is also older and we were at the point where it was not optional anymore, his weight had dropped too far and it was going to happen one way or another. 8 weeks later and he can drink one in about 2 minutes now and doesn't really mind the taste anymore.
I taught him how to hold his nose shut and drink it through a straw :) I also paid him a $1 if he would drink his whole bottle of water while at school. I figured it was cheaper then another Dr. visit :lol2:

my little penguin

Staff member
straw and nose here too-but his was a doc prescription -so we treated it like all other meds-
He had to take it- either orally or ng tube- not a punishment - just matter of fact.
meds must go in.
1.5 years later he can still chug one fast if needed and drinks 2-3 a day . It really helps so you are not trying to play catch up later- they only have so long to grow then its over- no do overs. I may not be able to fix the ibd but I can fix the wieght /height issue associated with it.
Iamaboveitall had her daughter on EN for years- kiddo had active disease but was still able to grow and gain normally because of En . SHe use a ng tube every night. then removed it in the morning.

Any suggestions for foods that will help his stomach stop hurting while he is having a flare. That is one of the biggest problems we are facing today. Everything I offer him to eat he says hurts his tummy.

That is a tough one, we usually stick to a very bland diet while flaring and for everyone what they can tolerate seems to be different but for us:
applesauce
chicken (usually boiled - I put in the crockpot with chicken stock and cook till it is falling off the bone)
white rice
bananas
Chicken stock

Hey Kristy...

So sorry to hear you little fella is not doing well... There is *so* very much to learn in the beginning - figuring out what he can/can't eat at times is simply a trial by error :( What will be no problem for one individual will send another into a flare... I hope it doesn't take too much time to come up with your own "No-No-Not-EVER-Again" List!

For my son - who was diagnosed a couple of years ago - he avoids (for the most part) raw veggies, except for lettuce which he will eat on on occassion. He also stays clear of regular milk (he drinks lactaid, lactose-free milk), fatty meats, most dairy products (we use veggie cheeses), nuts and popcorn. He's not a big sweet eater, so that isn't a big issue for him.

There is a TON of knowledge on this forum - ask lots of questions!

God bless...

Hey Kristy...

So sorry to hear you little fella is not doing well... There is *so* very much to learn in the beginning - figuring out what he can/can't eat at times is simply a trial by error :( What will be no problem for one individual will send another into a flare... I hope it doesn't take too much time to come up with your own "No-No-Not-EVER-Again" List!

For my son - who was diagnosed a couple of years ago - he avoids (for the most part) raw veggies, except for lettuce which he will eat on on occassion. He also stays clear of regular milk (he drinks lactaid, lactose-free milk), fatty meats, most dairy products (we use veggie cheeses), nuts and popcorn. He's not a big sweet eater, so that isn't a big issue for him.

There is a TON of knowledge on this forum - ask lots of questions!

God bless...

There is so much to learn...it can be over whelming to me as the parent, and him as the patient. Since his flareup started about 10 days ago, he has lost 3 lbs. I just worry about him not growing properly because he isn't getting all the right vitamins and nutrients. He misses school when he is sick and I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom, so I can take care of him. But I wonder what do regular working mom's do. He missed 3 weeks in a row last time. How would you even keep a job?

That is a tough one, we usually stick to a very bland diet while flaring and for everyone what they can tolerate seems to be different but for us:
applesauce
chicken (usually boiled - I put in the crockpot with chicken stock and cook till it is falling off the bone)
white rice
bananas
Chicken stock
We tried applesauce and he said it hurt his stomach so much. He also drank an apple juice and said it hurt too. So now I am pretty sure he will never eat another apple as long as he lives, haha. We will try the white rice and bananas. This disease just goes against everything I was ever taught...get your fiber in, don't eat too many white starches :)

I remember when Alex was diagnosed I was worried about the whole nutritional/growth portion also. What our GI said (and it has held true thus far) "If your son is meant to be 6'2" he will still get there - but he'll probably get there a little later than the rest of the boys."

Poor Alex was the smallest of his friends for the longest time, but has grown more than a half of foot in the last year - he's now taller than me at 5'9" and he's only 16 - so we are praying for that 6 foot mark (though he is officially taller than all of his older cousins at this point which makes for fun family get togethers! :)

He ate mashed potatoes, gravy and corn bread (made without corn kernals) almost exclusively for the first 3 months! He took it slow (which was okay by me) then started adding pasta, cheerios, rice and other bland type foods.

As soon as he was able to eat a little more, I started adding supplements: daily vitamin, B12 (for energy), omega 3s, and protein powder (going light on the protein powder as I was told it can be difficult to digest).

Today he eats just about everything except the raw veggies and other no-no list items.

Praying for you all!

Kristy- I'm really sorry you and your son are going through this. It will get better! Although your son can't tolerate many foods now, it is likely that when his Crohn's is under better control, he will be able to eat a more varied diet and he and you will be more clear on what works for him and what gives him problems. My son, who is 19, drinks fresh kale/ apple/carrot juice every day, and I feel happy that he gets this nutrition since he can't tolerate many veggies. He also takes a multivit, b12, vit d3 in addition to meds. Oh he also drinks lactaid milk. He recently had a flare and lost weight but was able to gain it back and more on Boost Plus supplementing his meals. It is difficult for a mom to watch their child lose weight (no matter their age!) so supplementing nutrition with drinks (either buy them or make something he can drink) is really useful. Drinks or pureed foods seem to be better tolerated and absorbed than whole ones.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Kristy,
Have you tried juicing things for him? Maybe if it is all turned to liquid he would do better.

There is a wonderful guy on here named Gianni who has great recipes.

Josh and some of us were talking on another thread how there are no nutritional drinks out there that do not contain Maltodextrin. But if you juice your own foods, you can get the nutrition without the additives. just an idea that might work for him for now.

I know what you mean about going against everything... There is no perfect diet for everyone either. I hope you find what works best for him.

I remember when Alex was diagnosed I was worried about the whole nutritional/growth portion also. What our GI said (and it has held true thus far) "If your son is meant to be 6'2" he will still get there - but he'll probably get there a little later than the rest of the boys."

Poor Alex was the smallest of his friends for the longest time, but has grown more than a half of foot in the last year - he's now taller than me at 5'9" and he's only 16 - so we are praying for that 6 foot mark (though he is officially taller than all of his older cousins at this point which makes for fun family get togethers! :)

He ate mashed potatoes, gravy and corn bread (made without corn kernals) almost exclusively for the first 3 months! He took it slow (which was okay by me) then started adding pasta, cheerios, rice and other bland type foods.

As soon as he was able to eat a little more, I started adding supplements: daily vitamin, B12 (for energy), omega 3s, and protein powder (going light on the protein powder as I was told it can be difficult to digest).

Today he eats just about everything except the raw veggies and other no-no list items.

Praying for you all!
That gives me hope :) Thank you so much. We are trying to take it slow. He just seems to go in spurts...he hurts and won't eat a thing...then one day he he just wakes up and wants pizza! It is such a roller coaster...and we are just getting started. It should be a fun ride for all involved haha.

Kristy,
Have you tried juicing things for him? Maybe if it is all turned to liquid he would do better.

There is a wonderful guy on here named Gianni who has great recipes.

Josh and some of us were talking on another thread how there are no nutritional drinks out there that do not contain Maltodextrin. But if you juice your own foods, you can get the nutrition without the additives. just an idea that might work for him for now.

I know what you mean about going against everything... There is no perfect diet for everyone either. I hope you find what works best for him.
Thank you for the juice idea...I guess maybe we need to go shopping for a juicer :) Any brands you recommend?

I think juicing sounds like a great idea - would love to introduce it to my family - right now we "smooth" not juice (laughs...) We drink A LOT of smoothies in my house. We go through roughly 5-6 bananas a day! laughs... I started calling the boys my "monkey boys...