• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mom of 2 grown kids with crohns

Hi, my name is Wendy. I am 45 and have been healthy all my life so far. But my kids haven't been so lucky. My son is 23 now and he was diagnosed when he was 15. My daughter is 25 and was diagnosed about 6 months ago. We went through a lot with our son, but that was just a beginner course for what our daughter went through.
I guess I should tell the story of his diagnosis before we get to her . He was a typical 15 year old boy, except he really didn't like school. So when he kept having stomachaches and our family doctor couldn't figure it out I took him to a GI doctor. He didn't understand me when I said either there is something wrong with him or he is playing hooky from school. One way odr another we have to get it figured out. It took a while but they finally got him doing well on
Humira, then we lost our insurance and he flared again. It was the worst I have ever felt, not being able to provide for my son. I was helpless to do anything. The hospital wouldn't help the doctors wouldn't help, we had to just watch him suffer until he spike a fever of 104 and we took him to the er, after a ct scan showed appendicitis and they did surgery to remove it. He hasn't had a flare since. That was 4 years ago. By the way we just finished paying for it 8 months ago.
Like I said it was just the start for us. November 2013, my daughter got sick with a "stomach virus". And it kept coming back every 3 or 4 weeks. She finally made an appointment with the same GI clinic that we had taken our son to. The doctor told her its a virus not crohns but to make you feel better we will do a colonoscopy. She told them when to schedule it and wrote it down on her calendar. Then called me so I could take off work to go with her. Simple enough you would think. But not really. The doctors office never scheduled her. Before they could " reschedule she was in the er. Finally they did a ct scan and saw inflammation. So much inflammation that they couldn't do a colonoscopy. My story is getting to long so I will shorten it a bit, surgery to remove part of her colon and the subsquent weightloss left our beautiful young lady a shell of her former self. All of her hopes for her future are set aside for now. We just hope she can keep the Popsicle down. And we don't have to go to the er tonight. Oh and the doctors all say if you need us call. That is a joke there are 20 doctors in that office and not a one can be bothered to return a phone call.

I'm so sorry to hear of all your children and you have been through. We have a great parents section here with kids of all ages. It's a wonderfully supportive group that is quick to listen to each other's struggles and offer unwavering support.

My son was dx'rd at 15, as well, and is now 18. He just recently went through a small bowel resection and it looks as if he will soon be switching from remicade and methotrexate to humira and methotrexate.

I do hope your daughter is able to find relief soon. Hugs!