• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Money Issues :/ Questions About Disability

So I'm sure any of you know that working while sick, is next to impossible.

After my first surgery, I went into remission for 2 years and worked non stop! After my second, I am sick every single day.

I've been on unemployment for almost a year. (In December)

What do you do in order to file for disability? I know when I have my next surgery coming up, I file through the unemployment office, but what happens when unemployment starts cutting how much they pay you? What do I need to do in order to pay bills, buy medicine, etc.?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Ali. I here you on this issue. As if the disease isn't hard enough. I don't know how it works I don't know how it works in the US but I hope you get some answers soon.

nogutsnoglory

How do you deal with the fact that they ask are you ready, able and willing to work? If you have surgery you aren't able. Do they stop your unemployment?

afidz

Super Moderator
They might.
I was on unemployment last year. While I was on unemployment I was babysitting about 15-20 hours a week. I had to stop because of my hernias. Since I stopped all of my funds were put on hold until I had an interview. I told her I had restrictions with weight and thats why it didn't work out but I was still able to look for another babysitting position. Had I said anything else I would of not been able to receive my benefits anymore.