• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mood swings

Recently I've been getting a lot of mood swings- at times I'm happy or ok and then out of the blue I just get upset and cry for every little thing. I am a 15 year old teenager so it might be as I'm growing and hormones etc. But as a CD patient I just want to know any one experienced this? Or is it just my hormones?

Hi Sumayya,

I don't suffer mood swings myself as such. As you say, it's maybe just the age you're at although other posters here may tell us differently.

I do however suffer from bad fatigue. Sometimes it's worse than others and makes me irritable. So maybe in a way I do suffer from moodswings!

I think that can be normal for a teenager. If you take any prednisone for your Crohns, that can also cause mood swings. If the mood swings seem really intense, is there anyone you can talk to about your emotions, like a school counselor or a family member that you trust?

I think that can be normal for a teenager. If you take any prednisone for your Crohns, that can also cause mood swings. If the mood swings seem really intense, is there anyone you can talk to about your emotions, like a school counselor or a family member that you trust?
Good thoughts.

There are of course many contributing factors for mood swings, however perhaps somewhat a little disregarded and yet to be fully realised, is the stomach is very much a second brain. The alimentary canal, a 9 metre wall, we find some 500+ million neurons, more than the spinal chord and central nervous system. Embedded within this wall you find the Enteric Nervous System which operates independently and in conjunction with the brain between the ears :thumleft:. It is estimated that the neurons within the gut are responsible for up to 95% of the dopamine present in the body.

Better understanding your brain chemistry (dopamine & serotonin) would perhaps be of intrigue for you my friend..:thumleft:

Peace & Love Always

Nicholas

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I can always rely on the forum for help. Nicholas: interesting theory it has really helped me. I have spoken to a school counsellor but just wanted some advice from fellow CD patients. I hope it's just puberty hormones! I'm currently taking azathioprine and inflixamab. Hope everyone is well!

Thanks for the replies, I can always rely on the forum for help. Nicholas: interesting theory it has really helped me. I have spoken to a school counsellor but just wanted some advice from fellow CD patients. I hope it's just puberty hormones! I'm currently taking azathioprine and inflixamab. Hope everyone is well!
Humbled it has been so my friend. Please always feel free to give me a shout if you feel you have any questions or alike.. the transition of adolescences to adulthood is full of alchemy that is somewhat akin to the particle collisions and cosmic soup mashed up at the time of the Big Bang and such is very much connected to the manifestation of Crohns.

Wishing peace and blessing during the festive light :thumright: