• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Moon Face and Prednisone!

I am about to go crazy with this prednisone and my fatty face, will my face just keep getting bigger and bigger? I go to see my GI on Friday and he is sussoped to taper my prednisone and start me on 6MP...

Another question, coming off prednisone does anyone know how hard to will be to adjust to the 6MP? I havent heard to much about the 6MP/side effects/etc. Sorry if this makes no since, I just want my face back to normal and get rid of these horrible pred side effects. :ymad:
Hopefully better luck on the 6MP...

Thanks for anyone that can help
:hug:

I've currently got a bad case of moon facies.. I think I scare my dogs even--they are too frightened to howl. Hahaha!! I have the same questions you do..

I've currently got a bad case of moon facies.. I think I scare my dogs even--they are too frightened to howl. Hahaha!! I have the same questions you do..
I feel the same way! Ah! We are in the same boat. Stinks so bad! I hate my fat face :(

I also get moonface, along with what I call turtle feet. My legs and feet swell, sometimes they feel so tight they hurt. I hate Prednisone.

I also get moonface, along with what I call turtle feet. My legs and feet swell, sometimes they feel so tight they hurt. I hate Prednisone.
Yeah my rings don't fit no more either, sucks! I swear i can't wait to get this tapering started on Friday. Sorry your going through the bad sides of pred as well :( Are you going to taper? How much do you take a day? Im on 20mg in the am and 20mg in the afternoon.

I didn't mean to click that goofy keep on topic man with the sign. Sorry... im still new at this posting stuff. Lol.

Astra

Hiya Elise

I'm on 20mg of Pred now, tapered from 40mg. This is my second go on this med. I was mortified first time round too!
Once I stopped, the moonface completely went away!
You're like Shannon, you're both splitting your doses? Never heard of this, we've always taken it all first thing in the morning after breakfast, to ward off insomnia?
Hang on in there hun!
xxxx

I'm tapering the prednisone, currently at 15 mg in the morning and 10 mg in the afternoon, and started azathioprine two days ago. Glad to know the fat face will go away when the prednisone is gone.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
What gets me about the moon face is that some days the swelling is uneven. When I smile, half my lips seem to go in one direction and half in the other!!!!

Other days it's less...grotesque. ;)

I have been the same! I have not long come of pred and I currently have no neck! Luckily my feet have stopped swelling up so hopefully I will get my neck back soon!!

Are you going to taper? How much do you take a day? Im on 20mg in the am and 20mg in the afternoon.
I'm not currently on any meds...have been on Prednisone many times in the past. Just had colonoscopy, Crohn's active in rectum and at anastomosis (previous site of resections). Doc wants to do small bowel series with barium to get idea of extent of narrowing before starting meds, in case I need surgery. He knows I despise Pred., gearing towards Remicade. He says Remi will help heal my fistula as well. Can't wait to kiss that thing good-bye.

Hiya Elise

I'm on 20mg of Pred now, tapered from 40mg. This is my second go on this med. I was mortified first time round too!
Once I stopped, the moonface completely went away!
You're like Shannon, you're both splitting your doses? Never heard of this, we've always taken it all first thing in the morning after breakfast, to ward off insomnia?
Hang on in there hun!
xxxx
My GI says that i split it up because i will start having pains in the afternoon/ evening time. Im afraid if I take it all at once by the evening time i will be twitching and having horrible pains in my knees and legs. I see my doc on Friday so I am going to see how much he tapers me and then i think he is putting me on the 6MP... so well see... i take Ambien toto sleep at night though.

What gets me about the moon face is that some days the swelling is uneven. When I smile, half my lips seem to go in one direction and half in the other!!!!

Other days it's less...grotesque. ;)
I haven't experienced this yet... maybe i should look more into the mirror... lol. But, at least were not alone with this moon face thing!
:hang:

I'm not currently on any meds...have been on Prednisone many times in the past. Just had colonoscopy, Crohn's active in rectum and at anastomosis (previous site of resections). Doc wants to do small bowel series with barium to get idea of extent of narrowing before starting meds, in case I need surgery. He knows I despise Pred., gearing towards Remicade. He says Remi will help heal my fistula as well. Can't wait to kiss that thing good-bye.
See i have heard about the Remicade but not to much... i just know i hate the pred, you should be glad you don't have toto experience this devil! It stinks! Good luck to you on starting your new meds though :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Elise, EJ came off pred and went straight to 6mp back in Feb. this year. He has had no problems with it. He takes it right before bed with a big glass of water. He is on 50mg dose. He also takes 3X800 mg/day asacol. We were told at our last GI appt that he could stop the Asacol but after trying to, EJ started having problems within a few days so we put him back on it as well. I hope the 6mp works for you!!

Hi Elise, EJ came off pred and went straight to 6mp back in Feb. this year. He has had no problems with it. He takes it right before bed with a big glass of water. He is on 50mg dose. He also takes 3X800 mg/day asacol. We were told last GI appt that he could stop the Asacol but after trying to, EJ started having problems within a few days so we put him back on it as well. I hope the 6mp works for you!!
Thank you Mark! I hope I have the good luck that EJ had with coming off of pred. What exactly is the 6MP? Anything close to the side effects of pred? I hope not... I need to get my GI to explain it more to me on Friday.

Thanks for the reply! :thumleft:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've been on pred for almost 2 years straight. I had moonface bad just after the diagnosis, however I am lucky enough to be male and was able to grow a big bushy beard to hide my fat face.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Elise, here's the Wiki article for 6mp. You get redirected to Azathioprine because they are the same drug with a different method for being metabolized in the body(I think)...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/6-mp

Always remember, when you start a new drug, you will be given regular blood tests to make sure it is working properly. I'm assuming you had the test (prometheus or something like that) to determine your bodies ability to metabolize 6mp.

I've been on pred for almost 2 years straight. I had moonface bad just after the diagnosis, however I am lucky enough to be male and was able to grow a big bushy beard to hide my fat face.
Too bad i can't grow a beard! Haha. If only i was a man :)

Elise, here's the Wiki article for 6mp. You get redirected to Azathioprine because they are the same drug with a different method for being metabolized in the body(I think)...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/6-mp

Always remember, when you start a new drug, you will be given regular blood tests to make sure it is working properly. I'm assuming you had the test (prometheus or something like that) to determine your bodies ability to metabolize 6mp.
Yes, they have run all the correct blood work for the meds, the doctor is real strict on all that. Im sure Friday he will make me go back to the lab and do more work. Thanks for the 6MP link, Im heading to check that out now.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
it's one of those things parent/coaches/teachers say to a kid.

Kid - I can't do "x", it's too hard.
Coach/teacher/parent - well not with that attitude you won't.

It's that garbage that that adults feed kids about how with a positive mental attitude they can do anything.

it's one of those things parent/coaches/teachers say to a kid.

Kid - I can't do "x", it's too hard.
Coach/teacher/parent - well not with that attitude you won't.

It's that garbage that that adults feed kids about how with a positive mental attitude they can do anything.
Oh ok, so something I would say to my kids. Hmm... lol.

:)

My husband is on maintenance prednisone for asthma/COPD. He shaved his beard off a while back and was shocked at his (sweet) moon face.

He went back to the beard. He suggested that I do the same. Hahahaha!!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've not trimmed my beard since the beginning of June, That's when they started upping my pred. I went from 5mg to 20mg, and then up to 50mg. I'm back down to 20mg, I see my GI in about 20 minutes, and hopefully I can drop it back down. But I should really get going if I want to be there on time.

I've not trimmed my beard since the beginning of June, That's when they started upping my pred. I went from 5mg to 20mg, and then up to 50mg. I'm back down to 20mg, I see my GI in about 20 minutes, and hopefully I can drop it back down. But I should really get going if I want to be there on time.
Good luck and update us when you return! Don't be late :)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The appointment went exactly as I thought it would. We're slowly tapering my pred to 10mg. And he's having a surgeon contact me so that they can yank my colon sometime next year.

The appointment went exactly as I thought it would. We're slowly tapering my pred to 10mg. And he's having a surgeon contact me so that they can yank my colon sometime next year.
Are you happy to be tapering the pred? I know my GI is going to do the same thing to me come Friday which Im excited about... but also worried because when I get low on the pred I start having the flare ups. Either way gotta go by what he says. ugh. That stinks about the colon yank... but hey whatever's best for your body is what we need. Healthy bodies :)

Hang in there!
:rosette2:

I have found when I need a steroid dose during a flare up - my doc gives me budesonide rather than prednisolone as it is meant to have less side effects? I actually think it does - dont get me wrong I still get a puffy moon face, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as on the prednisolone?

Does anyone find the same??x

I have found when I need a steroid dose during a flare up - my doc gives me budesonide rather than prednisolone as it is meant to have less side effects? I actually think it does - dont get me wrong I still get a puffy moon face, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as on the prednisolone?

Does anyone find the same??x
I myself havent heard of "budesonide" before... but I do know there is something else that does help with the flare ups that is not the prednisone.... just cant recall the name of it. Im no help sorry :(

It's just another form of steroid as far as I'm aware but it absorbs more directly into the gut? "The budesonide that is absorbed into the body travels to the liver where it is broken-down and eliminated from the body. This prevents the majority of the absorbed drug from being distributed to the rest of the body. As a result, budesonide causes fewer severe side effects throughout the body than other corticosteroids." (good old wikipedia!) I should point out though that when my flare up's are bad I have to have IV preds so perhaps it is not as strong but a good intermediate??

x

In 3rd grade prednisone made my head wider than it was tall. I had an english teacher who cheerfully called me chipmunk cheeks. She didn't mean any harm, but it ruined my day hearing it. A year later I finally confessed to my parents and they called her to let her know. She was so sorry the next day I saw her. Got a big hug out of it.

Last year I was on it again and it made me breakout like a horror film. I'm talking the arnold schwarzenegger of acne. I had zits growing ontop of zits. deep ones that hurt and were unpoppable. All kinds.

Guess my basic response is good luck with the taper! Hope they can get you on something lighter.

In 3rd grade prednisone made my head wider than it was tall. I had an english teacher who cheerfully called me chipmunk cheeks. She didn't mean any harm, but it ruined my day hearing it. A year later I finally confessed to my parents and they called her to let her know. She was so sorry the next day I saw her. Got a big hug out of it.

Last year I was on it again and it made me breakout like a horror film. I'm talking the arnold schwarzenegger of acne. I had zits growing ontop of zits. deep ones that hurt and were unpoppable. All kinds.

Guess my basic response is good luck with the taper! Hope they can get you on something lighter.
Thanks! :) I haven't had any problems with acne... thankfully, but I've probably gotten just about every other side effect. Lol. I see my doc Friday and can't wait!

I think I'm starting to get the moonface!!! Not too sure, it might just be paranoia...but while the skin on my arms and legs seems to be drying up and getting all gross, the skin on my face feels fantastic! Of course, as soon as I noticed it, I thought of all you guys and went "oh no, the beginning of the end!!!"

I'm overweight as it is, so it could be I'm just being paranoid, but did any of you lovely ladies notice a few days of smooth soft skin (and maybe a few less wrinkles)? I'm asking the ladies only cause most of the guys I know wouldn't notice a change in their skin if it bit them on the butt (or something equally unlikely...!)

I haven't had soft skin.. I just woke up one morning and felt like my eyes were closing up. My cheeks are so full that it feels like my vision is blocked. I know this isn't the case, but it just feels so weird!

I think I'm starting to get the moonface!!! Not too sure, it might just be paranoia...but while the skin on my arms and legs seems to be drying up and getting all gross, the skin on my face feels fantastic! Of course, as soon as I noticed it, I thought of all you guys and went "oh no, the beginning of the end!!!"

I'm overweight as it is, so it could be I'm just being paranoid, but did any of you lovely ladies notice a few days of smooth soft skin (and maybe a few less wrinkles)? I'm asking the ladies only cause most of the guys I know wouldn't notice a change in their skin if it bit them on the butt (or something equally unlikely...!)
I haven't had any noticeable skin problems but the moon face and about 12lbs of weight gain 8 have. I also haven't been watching what 8 eat, I keep saying Im going to start my diet down as i taper these steroids. I need to! Lol. But, sorry Im not much help with the skin stuff.

I haven't had soft skin.. I just woke up one morning and felt like my eyes were closing up. My cheeks are so full that it feels like my vision is blocked. I know this isn't the case, but it just feels so weird!
Allergies? This doesn't sound good. I would call my doc if this happens tmrw morning when you wake up. Very weird indeed.

I have defo not had good skin on my face at all. As with the rest of my body it is so dry. The worst thing for me is once I had started on pred I started getting facial hair (cant believe I have just admitted this out loud!) Luckily my natural hair colour is blonde but when I look closely in the mirror I have developed blonde hair all over the side of my face.
Why is it that I am getting a hairy man face when the hair on my head is falling out!!!!

I have defo not had good skin on my face at all. As with the rest of my body it is so dry. The worst thing for me is once I had started on pred I started getting facial hair (cant believe I have just admitted this out loud!) Luckily my natural hair colour is blonde but when I look closely in the mirror I have developed blonde hair all over the side of my face.
Why is it that I am getting a hairy man face when the hair on my head is falling out!!!!
Lol! I have blonde hair and have always had a little hair on my face! Ha. I don't know if its gotten worse or not... can't really tell. :) either way we should be thankful we are blondes!

Oh yeah I have the moon face and sometimes the half moon face. Today my face looks like an elephants butt! Hands and feet swollen too.

So... Im down 10mg and now just doing 30mg a day! Next Monday I go down 5mg..... every week its 5mg until my next appt Nov. 17th. So, well see how this goes! I hope my body can keep handling the taper. :)

a fella i worked with years ago we all used to call him moon head cus he was bald and had a big round head..thank god i havent seen him ina while or else i'd be in for a mouthfull of him...

So... Im down 10mg and now just doing 30mg a day! Next Monday I go down 5mg..... every week its 5mg until my next appt Nov. 17th. So, well see how this goes! I hope my body can keep handling the taper. :)
Boy, do I have the moon face and "buffalo hump" on the back of my neck. I'm doing the taper, I was on 60 mg and down this week to 35 mg, I can totally relate with my body handling this taper, it's very rough. Do you know how long it takes to get rid of the moon face, fatty pads???

I hate Prednisone :voodoo:

Boy, do I have the moon face and "buffalo hump" on the back of my neck. I'm doing the taper, I was on 60 mg and down this week to 35 mg, I can totally relate with my body handling this taper, it's very rough. Do you know how long it takes to get rid of the moon face, fatty pads???

I hate Prednisone :voodoo:
I dont know how long it takes, but i do know that the pred has made me put on a good 17lbs or so in the past month and it sucks! I know I havent been eating the greatest but... gezzz. I cant wait to get off of it completly and have my face and body back!

ahhhh
:eek:

:ybatty:pred makes me crazy, fat and furry. I was on pred for 9 months and have been off of it for two months.

The whole nine months I had huge furry moon face, but it's going away. Seriously, it was so bad I was shaving. Usually after that long it takes me about 6 months of Weight Watchers to even put a dent in the weight gain, which right now is at about 25 pounds. About the fat pads on the back of the neck, mine stuck. Thank god for long hair lol!

Last edited:
Oh Jeanette you sound just like me!
I too ended up with a fat and very furry face after my last stint on pred and that was about 6 months. I was only off it for about a month and was looking forward to getting back to normal before had to go back on.
Did your furry face get better then?

Yes, it got somewhat better. When I complained to my GI he sent me for a hormone count. Apparently long-term pred use can mess up a woman's cycles and hormones, so it's a good idea for Crohn's ladies to look into it after they go off the pred. I went to my OB/GYN and she put me on birth control pills to staighten out my hormones, and no more furry face-YAY!

Astra

Hiya Elise

good luck with the taper!
I'm going to 10mg on Saturday, hurrah! This time it's been ok tho, not as chipmunky as last time. When I was on really high doses 10 months ago, my cheeks felt like I'd been blowing balloons up all day!
I got the furry face and a tash too, and the hair loss, so I asked the doc if he could turn my head upside down!
But he just looked at me with the sort of face like he'd just licked piss off a nettle!
so, wishing us all good luck with this taper!
xxxxxxxx

Hiya Elise

good luck with the taper!
I'm going to 10mg on Saturday, hurrah! This time it's been ok tho, not as chipmunky as last time. When I was on really high doses 10 months ago, my cheeks felt like I'd been blowing balloons up all day!
I got the furry face and a tash too, and the hair loss, so I asked the doc if he could turn my head upside down!
But he just looked at me with the sort of face like he'd just licked piss off a nettle!
so, wishing us all good luck with this taper!
xxxxxxxx

Hey hun!
I will taper my next 5mg on next Monday... So this past week was 40mg to 30mg and then 5mg every week after until my next appt November 17th and I will be down to 10mg by then! Yay! It seems like forever til that day though! I guess I just got to hang in there :) Good Luck on going to your 10mg!!!

:ycool:

Yes, it got somewhat better. When I complained to my GI he sent me for a hormone count. Apparently long-term pred use can mess up a woman's cycles and hormones, so it's a good idea for Crohn's ladies to look into it after they go off the pred. I went to my OB/GYN and she put me on birth control pills to staighten out my hormones, and no more furry face-YAY!
Thanks for the suggestion Jeannette,

My face is also very furry, and my hormones are so out of whack. I'm very close to menopause and this flare hasn't help, or maybe made it worse. Anyways, thanks and good luck everyone with their tapers, I'm going to 30 mg on Saturday every 5 counts!!! :thumleft:

:goodluck:

:hang: Yes, I've been pushed closer to menopause myself, I've had a partial hysterectomy at age 32 for a fibroid, and now at 38 my ovaries have just stopped working.

Menopause at 38-everybody pray for my poor husband lol! I have hot flashes all the time, but drinking soy milk regularly along with the hormones of course has really helped.

It's just a temporary thing, the furriness, and hey, if I have to choose furry over flare, I'll pick furry every time! :ylol:

I think if you're feeling fine at 5mg you're in the clear to end the session. MY acne took months to finally clear up but my moon face slimmed after a few weeks of being off.

Wondering if prednisone has killed anyone elses sex drive...another big reason I hope I don't have to go on it again soon. I figure if we all talk about poop so much on this board this wouldn't be a taboo curiosity.

:runaway:Sex drive???What sex drive??? Even if I did have a sex drive when I'm on pred, I think my husband's too scared to come near me lol!

It takes several months for mine to get back up to normal. I think for me it's not only the medicine itself but just the whole feeling bloated/unattractive/self conscious that just finishes it off. And it's all on me; my husband's really understanding but still I just feel so unlike myself it's hard for me to get in the mood.