• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Moon face on steroids?

I keep reading about people getting moon face from steroids and I'm wondering how long it is before this happens, and whether it happens to everybody or just a percentage? I've been on pred enemas for a couple of months and I've gone onto Entocort a week ago and my face still looks the same as it ever did so far, but it's presumably early days?

I think it took a good 4-6 months for me to get the moon face on entocort.

I've never gotten a moon face from prednisone though. However the longest I've done prednisone is 20 days.

Yeah I think it usually happens when on them for a long time at high doses. 3-4 months +. I refuse to take them long enough for that to happen but now I am on Entocort for 2 months. That's as long as I want to be on it. I am a stubborn patient !! Haha. I am super sensitive to all drugs and steroids have a bad effect on me.

I was on prednisone for long while and I had the biggest moonface AND terrible acne that I could not control. But, I was on a high dose at first then took a small dose for over a year. Now that I am off of steroids and on Humira, my face is all back to normal.

Thanks for the info. I'm more worried about losing my hair to be honest, I was just a bit curious about the hamster cheeks. By the way, Val, when you come off the Entocort are you going onto another drug or did you mean you hope to be in remission soon? I'm curious because I don't know what my GI's plans are for me (she would prefer me to go on biologics but I can't face that and am hoping for good results from the Entocort).

Thanks for the info. I'm more worried about losing my hair to be honest, I was just a bit curious about the hamster cheeks. By the way, Val, when you come off the Entocort are you going onto another drug or did you mean you hope to be in remission soon? I'm curious because I don't know what my GI's plans are for me (she would prefer me to go on biologics but I can't face that and am hoping for good results from the Entocort).
Yes I have been on Humira for 7 yrs. Unfortunately I can't be on it at the moment but will start up again as soon as this infection clears up. The Entocort is just for now until I can start again. I have had no issues with Humira at all and it has been a life changer for me. Yes there are risks but for me the risks are worth a quality of life at fhe moment especially with kids. I have heard many good thing about Remicade as well but I could not stay on due to an allergic reaction. Hopefully the Entocort will be good for you!!