• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

More flares since starting Humira?

So I have had my third dose of humira and have had more flares and joint pain to the point I can’t move and I am so tired. I have no sex drive , and still gaining weight. I also had surgery back in May for carpal tunnel and my incision area seems to be tracking forever to heal!. Has anyone else had these issues ? I’m just feeling overwhelmed and scared that I won’t be able to do my job (I deliver mail) if this keeps up, I can’t function.

I've been on Humira for about two years now. At first, I was more than skeptical. It took about two to three months before I could begin to see an improvement and then another couple of months beyond that before I really started to feel like myself again. Speaking as someone who has been there and experienced the frustration, I highly recommend sticking with it for at least a couple more months before giving up on it.

Apparently low libido while on Humira is not unheard of, though I don't know if it's documented as a side effect or not. My drive has been shot for the last ten years or so since I was about 30, so I can't directly attribute it to Humira. I'm fortunate enough to have a very understanding wife.

I thought I was the only Crohn's sufferer who experienced weight gain. It started when I was left on Entocort for too long and it has messed up my metabolism, to the point that I gained a lot of weight while on it that I have not been able to shed. It's been really easy to gain weight ever since.

You mention you deliver mail. Which country's postal service do you work for? You should be able to request a reasonable accommodation due to your condition. There has to be another job in the postal service you qualify for that does not involve the physical demands of delivering the mail.

Rest assured you are not the only one that is gaining weight with this. I have been exercising for 8 weeks now (boxing is my fave) and I have only stayed at my current weight. Which is good that I have not gained more but still annoying. And I am a United States postal worker . I am a full time carrier which I just made to that status last year, I have been with them for 6 years now. They have limited accommodations for me , this joint pain is just a lot to take right now , and it seems I may have 2-3 days a week that I feel “ok” where I can function successfully. I am a workaholic and this is just tough for me mentally and physically.

As long as you're able to do it, being a carrier will probably benefit you through exercise. If it gets to the point where it becomes too much, you might have to speak to them to see if there are other jobs you could do in the USPS based on your condition. Are you a member of the APWU, NALC, or AFGE? They may be able to assist further if the need arises. I've been a "Fed" for over 20 years now and know how frustrating it can be, especially when dealing with the management types.

I am a member of NALC and I do hope to continue , I just need something to give lol the joint pain is just taking me down a notch