• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Morning!

Goodmorning :)

I found this forum earlier this summer, I was looking for information on Perianal Crohn's disease after my GI doctor brought this up due to my symptoms. I had a fissure that we were waiting to heal (which ended up reoccuring & finally went away) before proceeding with a sigmoidoscopy for diagnosis...so I only lurked. My younger brother has Crohn's and UC, and Crohn's was already a possibility for me as I've had issues for years that went overlooked & brushed off.

Today I finally joined the forum, after my hospital admission last Tuesday. I was admitted after 3 days of extremely persistent diahrrea, passing out, and abdominal pain. My blood work was all out of whack, and my ct scan showed inflammation everywhere. The radiologist read it more on the side of infectious enteritis vs. inflammatory bowel disease, and the hospitalist wanted a stool sample and a consult with the GI doctor. I was placed on Flagyl and Cipro and rehydrated. I stayed 1 day, and was able to leave (should have stayed another day for pain and sleep since my house was a zoo, hindsight is always 20/20 :ybatty: )... The GI doctor acted as if I had the plague, didn't place a finger on me and basically ran from the room (won't be following up with that one), they didn't know anymore than they did when I came in, they kept saying gastritis and yet all my discharge paperwork said colitis.

Since the morphine and the barium from my ct-scan on Tuesday the 8th when I was admitted, my bowels STOPPED and my kub on Friday the 11th showed a barium and stool impaction. I feel wonderful :yfrown: NOT. My PCP wants me in the ER, I want to try things at home... the ER will do nothing but an enema and send me on my way - possibly do another kub to check for an air/fluid level, possibly not. All of those things can be done out patient, she's just choosing not to. I don't have time for that, today is my first day back at work... that antibiotics have given me girly issues, and my daughter has bilateral pink eye. My husband works 3rd shift and the house is a wreck. I'm frustrated and need to poop. Sigh. I need a hug.

Sorry for the vent.

Sorry, had to hurry with the post - had to run and grab a patient. I should have added a bit more.

I've had issue's with stomach pain on and off since I had my first child in 2007, but it's always been over looked, I had my first coloscopy in 2009 and showed colitis - however it was never mentioned to me (told to be normal) and I was brushed off again. I was told for years that I must have IBS, which is further from the truth. I was diagnosed with a grade 1 rectocele last month, and finally found a GI doctor that actually listened to me, which brought me here to this forum. It wasn't until my hospital stay last week that made me want to join. Anyone here ever dealt with impaction? Specifically BARIUM impaction? Had they used gastrografin, I wouldn't be concerned. :(

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you've finally found a good GI, your previous one sounds awful! I haven't dealt with barium impaction myself but it doesn't sound pleasant and I hope you can get some answers about it (you may want to start a new thread in the "Tests for IBD" section of the forum specifically about barium impaction, as you may get better answers that way). I'm glad you've finally joined the forum after lurking - welcome! :)