• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mortified at work

I haven't been doing so well the past few days, more frequent movements and pain. But today I was in the rest room and two co-workers came in and immediately started complaining how disgusting the bathroom smelled. All I could think about what getting out before someone could see me.

Some of my coworkers know I'm struggling with an illness, but not the details of it and not all of them. Only other admins in my department, my supervisor, or people who asked when I had my pill cam equipment on me.

So yeah... not the best way to start my day. Glad it's Friday.

I know this doesn't really actually help...but we are there with you on this and we know what it's like. Hold your head high. Sending hugs :ghug:

Thanks guys, it was just a level of stress I didn't need. I'm on my third day of not feeling so phenomenal. I think stress has played a big part in that. But I'm in quite a bit of pain and yesterday had 4 trips to the bathroom before leaving work early. :/

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Is that bathroom the only one in your building/area? At my workplace, there's a bathroom on every floor and one in the basement, and if I have enough time to get down there then I try to use the basement one as almost nobody else ever goes in there so I can make smells, sounds, even cry if need be in there and nobody's the wiser. I don't always have enough time/forewarning to make it to that bathroom though (and sometimes the elevator is reeeeeallllly slow so sometimes it's not worth the risk). But that's extremely unprofessional of your co-workers to say something out loud like that, how rude of them!

If it makes you self-conscious, maybe look into one of those products that you put a drop of into the toilet just before you go. I think they have names like poo-pourri and Just a Drop. I haven't tried them myself so I don't know how well they work, but I've heard others on the forum say they're quite good. You could stash a bottle in your purse or pocket and bring it into the bathroom with you on bad days.

There's one per floor and my company takes up two floors of this particular skyscraper. On one floor, we have the whole thing, on the other we share a bathroom with an environmental group. But yeah, I don't have a lot of options when it comes to that.

And right now I feel like I need to go again and am in quite a bit of discomfort. :/ Tried to go sit on the toilet for a while but nothing happened.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I've been there...

There was a time when I wasn't doing so hot but I made a 2 hr trip with some friends and shared a hotel room with them. When we got to the room I went to the bathroom and they commented about the smell. Thankfully my then fiance (now husband) took the fall and said it was him.. he's taken a bullet for me more than once.

Same trip I ran to the bathroom at breakfast and a little kid was shortly before me...I didn't realize it and I sort of let the bathroom door hit him...and I didn't make it in time...double wammy. :(

I have so many more stories but I just want to let you know it sucks when your feeling sick and then someone makes it worse by embarrassing you.