• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Most profound things that make you happy during IBD

I am still so new to this IBD stuff. I still feel like I fell off a cliff with this and am learning new stuff all the time, but I am trying to be as positive and optimistic as possible.

Some of the things that get me through (besides a loving and supportive spouse, friends, family and the great support on here that I have gotten so far ;) ) are:

*my iPhone (this is my first smartphone and I LOVE it! There is so much to keep me entertained!)

*my Electric snow cone/shaved ice machine and professional-grade snow cone syrups I have ordered from http://www.hawaiianshavedice.com/

*my juicer- Fresh fruits and Veggies again have been GREAT!

I don't know what makes me feel like I am burning up hot all the time (maybe meds? Lots of Prednisone on a taper.Asacol,Imuran right now), but I have to have something really cold with me all the time. I love ice cream but cannot handle dairy right now, so that leaves slushes, slurpees and snow cones/shaved ice. Before the snow cone machine, I was stopping at gas stations and snow cone stands at least once a day and it started to get expensive. Often at 2 am I would want one and it is not too safe to run out and go get one where I live.

Though snow cones are not super healthy, it is one of the few things I can eat and it helps with my nausea. I also add a lot less syrup than a snow cone place, just enough to lightly flavor the snow cone.

So, I decided to research and buy a snow cone machine. It has been worth the investment for me because now I can have all the snow cones I want-even at 2 am and don't have to leave the house! LOL! I highly recommend the electric one from http://www.hawaiianshavedice.com/ that is about $50 that comes with the 2 ice molds. And the syrup flavors they sell on there are excellent! They are the ones they use at the snow cone/shaved ice places, so you know they are pretty dang good. It has been a little pricey, but cheaper than spending $3 to $5 a day min for me.

So, what makes you happy? What makes you cope better?

Electric blanket on my bed - Great for those nights when you are up frequently to the toilet, and come back to a cold bed shivering. You can just flip a switch, and have a nice warm bed - helps the sore tummy and body aches too.

Oh I love my electric blanket. As my name implies I always seem to be cold. Plus my microwave hot pad. A life saver.
Ooohh Yes - I love my wheat pack. My Mum and I had to make a few more when I was pregnant with my little one as my previous one had been 'wheating in the bed!!! - took me a while to figure out what was going on:)

I love the smell of it too:):sheep:

afidz

Super Moderator
The prednisone is probably what has caused you to feel hot all the time, the last time I was on it I think I had a hard time dealing with that the most. I always looked like I just got out of the pool.
My happiness right now is my boyfriend and animals. And my phone. I always have my phone. My other happiness is my favorite blanket but I REALLY struggle with it because I live in Texas and its June. (ha, I know you can relate Jacktin!) I am ALWAYS sweating.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I've been too tired to do either one lately, but I'm thankful for my cross-stitch projects and books to read. I also have a couple of wall hangings that I need to finish for our living room. Basically anything to get my mind off not feeling good.

But, I sure couldn't do without my husband!!! He's supported me so much through this last flare of mine.

The prednisone is probably what has caused you to feel hot all the time, the last time I was on it I think I had a hard time dealing with that the most. I always looked like I just got out of the pool.
My happiness right now is my boyfriend and animals. And my phone. I always have my phone. My other happiness is my favorite blanket but I REALLY struggle with it because I live in Texas and its June. (ha, I know you can relate Jacktin!) I am ALWAYS sweating.
You are right about the Pred making me hot all the time, Afidz! LOL I walk around with a round red face pouring sweat with gross sweaty hair that falls out :p I bet people think I got problems because a lot of the time they look like they want to say "Ew gross". I want to live in the freezer section of the grocery store right now LOL.

I also have a favorite Sherpa lined blanket too but I am TOO HOT to use it :( I do know about Texas summers too LOL right here with you! Texas in June is killer and it isn't even really hot yet!

afidz

Super Moderator
We haven't hit 100 yet, everyone says that we are going to have a "mild" summer because of the "cold" winter, but I think we are going to get punched in the face hard with a heat wave or of no where in July or August. But how bout all the rain this week! My car had been under protest (handling horribly) in all of the rain. It forgets that it's from the north I guess

Last edited:
The rain has been WONDERFUL!!! The lakes are beginning to fill, finally! Once the sun comes back out, it will be humidity hell, but YAY for rain!!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
The snow cone machine sounds super awesome. The flavors you buy might not be the best but you can always create your own nautral ones. Think lemon or other fresh fruits. Here's an intersting recipe, you can substitute the sugar for honey, agave nectar or another natural sweetener: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Fruit-Sno-Cones-105440

For me it is definitely the Juicer as well. And the fact that I can eat greek yogurt which I love.

Sleep is another big one, knowing there's still a roof over my head and a comfy bed at night. Also recognizing that in spite of all my pains and suffering I could always be much more worse off than I am even during my worst flares. It helps me cope and push through and look for answers and ways to get/feel better. It keeps me fighting.

I also love my comedy shows. They keep me laughing even when I don't feel like it.

I just love my iPhone, games on it are so much fun; I can read books on it too. Love to read. I have a supportive spouse and friends too. My cats..... they greet me at the door every time I come home. Also, summer is finally in my corner of the world in Canada... woo hoo!!

Thanks to all who responded :D It is so nice to see what makes everyone's world better while enduring this stuff.