• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mother of 5 year old with positive Prometheus test

My son went for his 4 year old checkup 3/2012 and I mentioned to the pediatrician that part of his rectum came out after a bowel movement. It did not look like a hemorrhoid but would come out and go back in. The doctor sent us for a sweat test and blood work. He called me and said he had Crohn's and was sending us to a pediatric GI. The blood work that the pediatrician was referring to was the Prometheus test which states he has the pattern consistent with Crohn's.
ASCA IgA 3.1
ASCA IgG 3.1
Anti-OmpC 3.1
Anti-CBir 1 IgG 57.3
Anti-A-4-Fla2 IgG 100.0
Anti-FlaX IgG 100.0
Stat3 Mutation Detected
Inflammation results were all normal.
We saw the pediatric GI doctor who said the blood work meant nothing and in the future we could do a scope to test his colon. Our pediatrician thought the first test might be a false positive so we repeated the test in 12/2012 and it came back with same pattern. I haven't seen the lab, so I am not sure of the numbers.

My question is this are these blood tests reliable? I really don't want to put a 5 year old through a bowel prep and scope if this test is bogus. Like I said above his only symptom is the rectal problem. I am just afraid that if I do not check him that there could be damage being done to his body now that I may have been able to prevent.
Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Hi and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about your son.
I know some GI's go by these test but as with some many things test are just a part of the "big" picture. The best way is to get a scope. That will let the GI see and take biopsies.
I do know there is a stool test called fecal calibration (?spelling) that test for inflammation coming from the intestines. However, my Grace had normal EVERYTHING except scope biopsies! I hope you get answers soon.

Hope you get answers soon, Jack's came back like this but he had other symptoms, stomach cramping, low grade fevers, constipation and failure to thrive, plus his father has Crohn's so the scope for us was a matter of instead of being 95% certain to being 100% certain and how bad was it.
Scopes would certainly give you a more definitive answer and things can go downhill fast. Hope it is not Crohn's but if it is you have certainly come to the right place and I'm sure those way more knowledgeable then I will be along shortly

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are able to get some answers soon. My son did not have the Prometheus testing but was diagnosed with biopsy from colonoscopy. The stool test mentioned about tests for inflammation in the GI tract it is called the Fecal Calprotectin Test. It might be a non invasive option, it cannot diagnose CD but might give you another piece of the picture in deciding whether to scope or not. You can read about the test by clicking on the highlighted word above in my post.

Last edited:
We did have the Prometheus test done on our daughter. It was positive for IBD but showed markers for both uc and crohns. Ellie has very regular calprotectin tests and regular crp and sed rate labs. It seems to me that the Prometheus is a very dividing issue among pediatric GIs. Doctors in the western part of the US seems to trust it and east coast doctors seem to think it's a load of you know what. I still don't know what to think.