• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mother suffering from Crohn's - need advice

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this - I have reached the point of helplessness with my mother so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get the input of other sufferers or those affected by the disease.

My mother was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about 13 years ago. She has had one operation to remove a blockage - about 3 years ago. She is on a countless number of meds for the disease as well as meds for epilepsy. If it helps I can probably check to see what she is on. The problem is that for the past year/year and a half she has been in a sort-of constant pain from the disease. She has been in and out of hospital at least once every six weeks for a week or so at a time. It has taken such a toll on the whole family because we don't know how to help her at this stage. She is now trying to convince her doctor to give her another operation.

I've read that smoking and caffeine are big pain triggers. She smokes at least 50-60 cigarettes a day and drinks about 10-15 cups of coffee... an unbelievable amount. I am trying my best to convince her to stop this, as has her doctor, who told her she might be in a wheel chair in 5 years if she doesn't stop. She is only 46. This seems like more of a rant but I was hoping that one or two you may have stopped smoking yourself as a result of the disease and might have some advice on how I could try and help her?

I am also starting to become suspicious that she might be becoming addicted to her pain killers, almost as if she has convinced herself that when she isn't taking them, there is pain there... even if there isn't. I have brought her to her doctor at her request even when she seems fine but insists shes in bad pain (I have seen her unable to walk from pain in the past and obviously brought her straight to hospital) and yet, she can smoke and drink coffee as if she is perfectly fine.

I'll cut this short here as I don't want to make it too long for someone to read. Any suggestions on how I could encourage her to take care of her general health more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Patrick.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Patrick,
Sorry to hear of your mother's problems which are serious.
It could be a really difficult situation to stop two addictions and yet smoking is known to cause problems with crohn's and also the caffeine.
Your mother has to be motivated within herself to stop both.
Perhaps a start with caffeine free coffee or no coffee at all? Try tea or soft drinks, like fruit juices if tolerated.
Smoking cessation is an even taller order but can be done though difficult.
After smoking 30+ years I was finally able to stop with acupuncture given by a Chinese MD who is also a GP. He has an avowed intent to stop smokers smoking.
I walked into his office (having made an appointment) had the treatment and a short talk from him and have never smoked since.But the motivation has to be there and I was desperate due to the health problems I was into.
It can be very difficult when it comes to pain control, some manage with next to little drugs others must have the help they need.
I would believe her if she says she has pain, Crohn's can be difficult to control on the pain scene., and everyone has a different perception of pain.
Is there something you can provide as an incentive to stop both smoking and coffee---like something she would really like but cannot afford? Assuming you could do this?
It is a tough call for you.
Hope you will be able to find a solution
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Patrick, I just wanted to say what an amazing and caring son you are! First of all you can help a little but she has to be the one to stop smoking, and coffee is a no no, I have 2 cups a day and find that affects me. I quit smoking 10 years ago before my surgery because it is dangerous to go under and be a smoker, makes it worse. BTW having another surgery may not be what she needs, the more operations you have the faster it can come back, in most cases. There is little you can do, but she has to look after herself and get into a healthier lifestyle. All the surgeries in the world wont help.

It is hard to see your mom suffer ,but like any disease the first thing is for her to admit she has a problem. All you can do is support her. Sorry not much help, I wished I did. Your mom is young and I hope she listens to her doctor.

Ask any questions we are here to help ok? You are a good son..we welcome you!

I quit smoking over 5 years ago, and started taking care of myself. I believe it has changed the course of my disease drastically for the better.

Denial can be a powerful thing. Painkillers do not control the disease, they only mask the pain. All the damage is still being done to her insides with out proper disease management.

Maybe take her to a IBD support group or encourage her to post her story on here.