• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mouth sores

SarahBear

Yesterday I noticed just after brushing my teeth that I had a very sore patch on the inside of my bottom lip, kind of low down and to the left. When I looked at it, it looks red and lumpy - I immediately thought inflammation. I'd assume I bit my lip or something, but that's generally something I'd remember doing, and it would be pretty difficult to bite that area.

It aggravated me quite a bit when I ate, then it started to calm down again. When I brushed my teeth before bed, I noticed the same area on the other side of my mouth was starting to do the same thing. Both were very red and inflamed-looking, and the left side may have bled a tiny bit.

It does hurt to run my tongue over these spots, but they do seem to calm down a while after brushing my teeth or eating. I can still feel it faintly, it's just barely painful or visible.

Any ideas on what this is? The beginnings of mouth ulcers, maybe? I'm confused by it being on either side of my mouth. But, is this the way mouth ulcers would usually form? At what point should I be worried?

Also, I did get a new toothbrush and using it the first time was when I noticed this. But, it was the same exact toothbrush as I had before, and all that would have come in contact with that part of my mouth is the back side of it - which would be no different at all from the last toothbrush.

Last edited:

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Well, this is usually how I start off a flare. It definitely means some sort of inflammation is happening in your body whether it is localized in the mouth or somewhere else in the body like your intestines.

When I brush my teeth even with a soft toothbrush I see more bleeding and my gums get really sensitive and even get a bit puffy. It's not until I treat the crohn's that it goes away.

Definitely get in to see a dentist and notify your GI about it just in case he wants to investigate some more including investigating your blood work in more detail like getting your CRP levels and whatnot.

In the meantime keep your mouth clean. I frequently use mouthwash or gargle with salt when this happens to reduce bacteria in the mouth. I think there are mouthwashes that specifically treat canker sores as well.

Dabbing peroxide on the affected area is helpful too in treating any existing sores.

Let us know how everything goes Sarah!!!

(P.S. You might want to lay off eating cameras for a bit Bear...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=81DCfygJWwU#at=36)

I've been getting mouth ulcers a lot during this flare. My doc gave me some steroid ointment, which does help heal them a bit, but like CrohnsChicago said, they usually won't totally go away until you treat the Crohn's

SarahBear

I've been cleaning them regularly with either peroxide or salt water. I've also increased my tooth brushing to four or five times a day to try to keep things as clean as possible. When brushing, I try to hold my bottom lip out as much as possible to keep from irritating it in any way.

I've had one definite ulcer pop up on the left side. The inflammation is still there on both sides, and possibly a little bit on the top right as well now. The inflammation seems like it might be getting worse. It now hurts to smile. :(

I don't have a dentist currently, but I did call a dental office on Friday. No one answered, so I left a message. If they don't call back halfway through Monday, I'll try again. :)

Hmm that's interesting. My gums have been inflammed and sore and I've come down with two colds in 2/3 weeks. I hope it's not the start of a flare...

Let us know how you get on :) I hope you can get seen to!

I have crohns disease (diagnosed 2010) and always get mouth ulcers :( My gums start off red and inflamed in a certain area , then they normally develop into ulcers , Got a patch of them on the roof of my mouth at the moment and it's taking forever to heal. I work at the dentist and have had them looked at , I've been given some spray for them and using chlorhexidine mouthwash but it's not really working to quickly.

SarahBear

There are definitely ulcers on either side now. I went to the dentist this morning and he said to watch it for another week, because normal mouth ulcers usually go away within 7-10 days. If they aren't gone in another week, I'm supposed to call and let him know. But for now, we're just hoping it's a random occurrence and nothing to do with Crohn's.

I went ahead and scheduled a GI appointment for July 9th, as well. With the ulcers and an increase in the polka-dot bruises I get on my legs, I want to play it safe. I'm not sure what these bruises are but they do seem to get worse when my stomach is feeling worse.

I use to get them all the time when I would have a flare up, the GI told me it's because your digestive system starts at your mouth. I bought some stuff at our local walmart called Kacaid(?) it is located by the tooth numbing medication, it worked good to numb the pain. It is important to contact your dentist because since I have had crohn's my teeth have gotten really bad because my gums have become so weak.

I hope this helps, sorry for your pain!

SarahBear

Thanks, Amanda! They suggested a product like that, but I can't remember the name - it might have been that!

They seem to be well on their way to clearing up now, so that's very good news. :) Hopefully it was just a one-time thing and had nothing to do with my stomach, but I'm still going to mention it to my GI when I go in.

Amanda, my teeth are also bad because of Crohn's. My gums are so sensitive that they had to numb me just to clean my teeth. :(