• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mouth Ulcer/canker sore

I have developed what I think is an ulcer\canker sore.
It's located at the very back of left side of mouth, between gum and cheek.
I noticed it felt a little sore yesterday, but I've woken up in agony!
Constant dull pain, but when I talk or swallow it's awful.
I've tried my usual swirl with listerine mouthwash and it hasn't helped :(

It's worse now! The entire inside of my left cheek is bright red & swollen. Hurts really bad, but I can't visibly see an ulcer :(.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. It sounds like you haven't had much experience with these. Unfortunately, I deal with these mouth, throat and tongue ulcers constantly. At the moment I have about 22 in my mouth that i can see. It sounds weird to complain about the excruciating pain of a little mouth ulcer, but people that don't have them, just can't understand. I'm assuming you have Crohns? I have a regimen to help with the pain, but prednisone is the only thing that gets rid of them... And that's only temporary. For me anyway. I use Magic Mouthwash. It's an Rx, you can swish or gargle with it and swallow it if you ever get any ulcers in your throat. Also oragel works for temporary relief, helps to be able to eat. Also there is an over the counter swish that's called Ulcer Ease. You can't swallow this one, but it is still very effective. I'm so sorry your having to deal with this. Hopefully you only have this one sore. If so, oragel is probably the best spot treatment. Good luck! I hope this helps. Oh, and don't use listerene or other mouthwashes with alcohol. I'm not positive, but I think they might do more harm than good, and certainly very painful.

Hi sorry you are suffering mouth ulcers can be very painful but if it's something you haven't had before or can't identify if it is an ulcer I would see you can see either a dentist or your GP. They may be able to give you a quick answer and give you something to help with the discomfort. Before Christmas I had an infection in my gum it was red and puffy and was extremely painful the pain went up to my ear and down into my throat and I struggled to chew anything.
Hope you can get it sorted soon x

Thanks for your replies :).
I did stop using listerine and got some oragel, which helped the the edge off. About a dy after the mouth ulcers came up, my other crohns symptoms hit me, so it must just be another flare (although it hasn't been long since the last one, sigh). I'm on prednisone again. Thankfully, I've still been able to work this week!

I get them often too, although not nearly as many as you Paccha. That must be so hard to deal with. I get them in groups but generally one at a time, one after the other. My GI prescribed an oral steroid paste called Oracort that helps immensely. I put a little bit on the sore just before bed. You have to stick out your tongue or hold your lip out a few minutes to help it set. Then go right to bed, no talking etc. Feels so much better in the morning. I also so no to listorine or other alcohol mouthwashes and find sensodyne toothpaste is best. The others are too strong and make it worse.