• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mouth ulcers, a sign of an inflamatory bowel condition ?

Hello, do you suffer from frequent mouth ulcers ? Aren't they a pain. I brush my teeth, gargle with salty water, avoid crisps and acidic foods, ( most of the time) and the little blighters still plague me. Not life threatening, not terminal but how can you apply frosty lipstick and feel pretty ? For job interviews and dating, a real downer. Your stories and treatments most welcome. Thanks.

Hi there- I sometimes get mouth ulcers when i have a flare up or am about to get one- I did find Listerine Total Care helped .

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I used to get really bad mouth ulcers (stomatitis).....thankfully I don't get them often any more, however I do still break out in cold sores fairly regularly - everything from tiny ones to eraser-sized ones (OUCH!).....I think they are stress-related, and also related to sun exposure.

crohnsinct

My daughter gets mouth ulcers when she is in a really bad flare. She got some special mouth wash from the GI. It’s a mix of I think 3 different things. Maybe someone here knows the name of it. I am not home but will check when I get home. It needs a prescription

I would get them very often before I was fortunate enough to achieve remission. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to prevent them, but I would rise with salt water 3x-4x a day to soothe them. If I thought one of them was getting infected, I would use a diluted hydrogen peroxide rinse.