• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Move that fat butt!

Ok so I've been off work now almost a year now with my current flare

..... Really? A year s@#t can't believe I've been a couch potato that long :(
thats a year on 50-30 mg of pred and a couple bouts in hospital on hydrocortisone (4x100mg)

finally dared myself look in the mirror other day and well ..... Omg! Who the hell is that??!!

Bein a couch potato on a flare poppin pred and on a low residue diet hasn't been very flattering to my image to put it nicely lol

so I finally went out an hired a walkin
treadmill

man I can't believe how outa shape I hav become (well round is a shape I guess)

so now I'm attempting to get some physical fitness back so I can get back to that guy I once was - hopefully
atleast I won't be far from the loo lol

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Woohoo, go for it Rob! I'll be cheering for ya! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Just think how much faster you'll be able to get to the loo........warp speed! :lol:

AWE.. Rob... don't be so hard on yourself :D I'm sure you will lose it once you feel better. Good on you for getting active though.. definitely better for your heart :)
"hired a walking treadmill...?.... huh?"

Wendy

Thanks guys

yea dunno bout where ur from but here in Australia we can rent/hire/loan gym equipment from local health/gym equip stores

beats buyin somethin that may end up gatherin dust an wastin storage space

plus it's good to try somethin b4 considering buyin one - incase ya don't like it or can't do it

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
take it easy rob, as you said yourself, you havent done any exercise for a year. you dont wanna go and hurt your mucsles/ligaments or other things.

well done on taking the first step though.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Rob do you have a spy camera in my computer room:lol2:. Dont worry, just like me you have to be aware of the creeping pounds and get them off. I was doing so well and now have put a few lbs back on, but got to get it off.

At least you are aware of it, so like me get out there! :smile:

I know that feeling. My body has been through hell in the past year, I went from great shape, to super skinny, to fat, but just this morning I'm getting back to my old self and was squating sets of 400.

I played hockey and was in amazing shape at 205 lbs, then I got sick and dropped to 160 in about four months. After my doctor figured out it was Crohns he put me on prednisone and I ballooned up to about 220 and was tubby in about four more months.

I have been off the prednisone for about four months now and have been going to the gym five to six days a week. I have only lost ten pounds but my pants size has gone down 6" so I must have packed the muscle back on.

The best advice I can say is start out easy the first couple weeks then start picking up the intensity. Also if protein doesn't make you sick eat as much of it as you can. It took three different types of protein powder until I found one that did not make me sick but it has made all the difference. I take a multi and others to make sure I get what I need but have cut my carbs to under 100g a day.

Rob, I'm sure you are just fine. We are so hard on ourseves when we are sick. I admire you for thinking about excercising....Thats a bad word for me..I'm just shameful. Sue

ameslouise

Good for you, Rob! I agree with everyone and say take it easy. You don't want to overdo it!

Walking on the treadmill is a great weight bearing exercise - good for the bone density, which is so important when we are on pred for so long.

Good luck!! - Amy

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Great stuff, Rob! Working out from home = great idea. We have a gym in our condo but I prefer to use the YMCA, because they have daily spin classes -- not to mention a pool and hot tub (ahhh). I did an hour of spin yesterday and plan to do same tomorrow.

Astra

Hey Rob
hope you're doing well bud?

and good luck with the exercises but nice & slow, nice & slow!
everything comes to he who waits!
xxx

Good looking out, Rob. You've inspired me to move my fat butt.
I have decided to get on that treadmill and shake these pounds loose.
I have been on sick leave since March due to my flare and Pred use. I feel so disappointed in myself for lying around all day and spreading like butter.
Keep it up, Rob. I'll let you know if I lose any by the end of the week.:sheep:

Last edited:

Regular Joe

Hi Rob,

You're funny..."round is a shape". LOL!

I also have been looking in the mirror, and quite frankly, I don't recognize who I am. But I've had just the opposite problem. I don't have a fat butt anymore... or a fat head...or fat legs ... or fat arms. I don't have anything fat anymore. Belive it or not, this is pretty weird getting used to. I still keep losing weight, and I'm just about to the point of being "skinny".

The thing that's weird about it is I saw a picture of me before I had any digestive problems - about 10 years ago. I was pretty big and round. I almost want to say I looked better. I had long hair and my beard wasn't gray, and I was almost a hundred pounds heavier.

The ironic thing is that I'm the same person I always was before, but now it seems like almost everyone treats me differently. Especially strangers. They stop, smile, and talk with me. It's because I'm thin, and "thin" apparently is a very desireable thing. I don't know how this might be sounding to anyone - but I never realized the difference in the way people treat you when your butt is fat. I always had a fat butt, so I never really knew what it felt like not having a fat butt.

In a way I feel flattered with all the attention I've been getting. But in another way, there is something way wrong with this picture. This morning I'm walking through the main lobby at work, and I'm feeling a bit stressed about something, and this woman I never saw before looks at me, her eyes light up, and she says "hello". I smiled and said hello back rushing to wherever I was going.

It feels like I need to act differently now - because I look like a different person. It's pretty weird, but it seems like the opposite of how you feel. But oddly enough, it's uncomfortable, too.

Hey guys, yea slow is the word lmao
man I don't remember excersize bein this hard lol an I'm jus walkin hahaha

bit dishearting to be sweating away on a treadmill short of breath an realise - WTF???!!! 21 calories!!!!!! Is that all???? Lol
yep gonna be a loooooong hard slug lol
but even if I don't loose alot weight, atleast I got somethin else to do for now lol
not just a day of sittin on the couch watchin tv etc I can walk away the hrs (ok ATM it's minutes lol)

Yea Joe I hear what ya saying, I've always been big- just now I'm even bigger lol but yea now I'm even bigger ppl seem to react differently than how they would b4
they tend to try avoiding eye contact don't get many ppl sayin hi etc
it's like they worried bein fat is contageuos an they will catch it lol

anyway back to the mill for me lol mush! Mush! Lol

Keep it up! You can do it :0)

I find that exercising regularly really helps me feel better. Not only health-wise, but it makes me feel better about myself, and just happier in general. I hope that you can keep it up and get into a good routine! We owe it to ourselves to do everything we can to stay somewhat healthy!

Ok not that I'll get far everyday, ..... But just to make it bit more fun an add some motorvation I got hold of a map an photo copied it an plan on plotting my way along an seein how far I can get

- I won't actually be doing this but just going by the distance I do on the treadmill lol
hopefully as I get fitter I'll go further eachtime etc an maybe end up on the old excesize bike to finish it off lol

so far according to my map an calc I'm still in my home town after 2 hours walking lmao
maybe I'll get further once I get on the bike hahaha