• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Movieprep for Colonoscopy

I am sitting here to trying to swallow down this crap. It's really nasty. I am in the middle of a flare and have only been on mostly clears for the past few weeks. I don't think I can stomach a whole liter tonight, let alone another one tomorrow. How do you do it?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Mix it with a clear liquid you like such as Sprite or 7Up. Just as long as it doesn't have any red dye and it is clear. Bubbly cold drinks are best for me and you can chase it with another clear liquid too. You'll get full, but you'll get it down. Main thing you need to do is start running clear in the toilet ok? So you may not have to stomach all of it. ;) Get as much down as you can though.

Edit: For instance, take a cup of the prep and mix it with a cup of another liquid and it won't taste as bad. Then chase it with a clear liquid with no prep in it.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes - what Crabby said.....I find if the prep (whatever it is) is cold - the colder the better....also, if you don't have the taste in your mouth, if you hold your nose and close your eyes it can help with the taste......and have a chaser to get rid of the aftertaste....

Good luck with everything!

Thanks. Been chasing it with some hot tea. The movieprep itself is cold. Just texted my dad who is also a Dr. and has crohns...and asked him for his advice as well....he said that he never tolerates past 12 oz or so....and he does fine. He said to just stop the movieprep. Given that I haven't been eating...he said there can't be much to clean out anyways.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Keep track of the time too. Gotta force it down at least every 15 min. Try to chug every 10 min though. And uh, bring your prep drink with you to the bathroom. I decided to just stay on the toilet for an hour while I did my prep cause once that seal is broken, you're going! Bring a book too. And some extra wipes and TP. ;)

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hiya:

You poor thing. You can do it, though, and we'll cheer you on if you need to check in this evening for encouragement!

A few more drinking ideas:

1. The nurse I spoke with said it was okay to add non-red Crystal Lite powder, too -- this way, you aren't doubling the amount that you drink because of watering it down (although I plan to try Crabby's idea of mixing in sprite next time!).

2. Stand up to drink the prep. I can't remember exactly why, but it helps you not taste it as much.

3. Use a straw -- helps you bypass some areas that would taste the liquid. I use a cup with a lid and a straw, so I don't have to look at the liquid.

Take good care.

My first colonoscopy was with that Fleet that was discontinued for colonoscopy prep and that was rough, but much easier. Two years ago, I had the movie prep, but wasn't as sick when trying to stomach it that time. Forgot how nasty it is.

Nyx

I had the pico salax and it wasn't bad at all...tasted like orange. I only ever got through half of it though..cuz once the pooping starts I always get nauseous and can't drink any more. Mind you, by that point, I'm pretty much done anyway..

hey i just had a mov prep on the 23rd and an other one on the 12th way to close together and when i was reading paperwork it says somethink about pills instead so I know how yoour feeling and my appointment with the surg. doc is tommorrow and i plan on asking why after all these preps i wasnt told about pill for it. hang in there kid o

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
hey i just had a mov prep on the 23rd and an other one on the 12th way to close together and when i was reading paperwork it says somethink about pills instead so I know how yoour feeling and my appointment with the surg. doc is tommorrow and i plan on asking why after all these preps i wasnt told about pill for it. hang in there kid o
I've asked that as well and its because the pills themselves can cause kidney damage when patients don't drink enough water not to mention they often don't clean patients out enough resulting in a failed scope and having to do it over again. Many of us IBD patients are already taking medications that cause kidney damage so the pills are a really bad idea.

oh great because i was hopeing to take them when i get my surgery I can't handle an other prep. do you think it would be safe if i made sure i drank enough water ? I do know my kidneys are already chronicly swollen already but dont think its a problem they keep an eye on me .

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
oh great because i was hopeing to take them when i get my surgery I can't handle an other prep. do you think it would be safe if i made sure i drank enough water ? I do know my kidneys are already chronicly swollen already but dont think its a problem they keep an eye on me .
With surgery you have a different type of prep or at least I did. I couldn't drink the stuff though so I had them put a tube down my nose instead of having to drink it. Getting the tube down there is the hardest part but once its in, everything is fine as long as you go to the bathroom on time (I waited cause I was on the phone and threw up the prep and the tube but at least I had gotten enough in me already).

I think the prep is even more different now for surgery (I've heard of no prep mentioned on the forum a couple of times) as I had mine over 10 years ago.