• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MR Enterography vs. Small Bowel Follow Through

I was wondering if anybody knew the difference between a Small Bowel Follow Through and an MR Enterography. I went to a new Gastroenterologist for a second opinion and they dropped the ball on transferring over my prior test results. When I was leaving, the receptionist said he ordered me a Small Bowel Follow Through and I wasn't sure exactly what that was and told her that I had an MR Enterography and if that was the same thing.

She checked with him and I am pretty sure she said I no longer needed the Small Bowel Follow Through after they tracked down the results of the MR-E, but I got a call today to schedule the Small Bowel Follow Through and the person said the Gastro ordered it for me today.

I am going to check with him and I am not sure if he wanted me to get it due to any blood work results he got back, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it or knows what it shows.

My MR Enterography came back normal and I think it is still up in the air on whether or not I have Crohn's.

If you click on each test(in your post each test is highlighted and therefore a link) it will give you details about each test from the forum wiki.

The SBFT involves radiation and is a series of xrays while barium travels through your bowels. The MRE is magnetic resonance imaging that doesn't involve radiation.

The SBFT isn't used as much as it used to benhance since MREs and other tests have come along but still has its uses.