• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MR Enterography

Lynda Lynda

I was recently told by my GI, on the Patient Portal, that I will need have an MR Enterography.
I have had CT scans with the contrast material and the IV dye. I don't ever recall having a MR Enterography. Can anyone share their experiences with this procedure. I have been on the Internet reading about it. I am not scared of the test because I have had CT scans, MRI, x-rays, ultrasounds. But I am scared of pooping during the test because the contrast material contains sugar alcohols which cause diarrhea. After my last CT scan for my IBD I had to hurry down the hallway to use the restroom and I was in a panic about pooping in my pants ! 😢

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had one done back in December and it was a breeze. Drank 2 bottles of the contrast (about 16oz each), waited an hour then went back for the scan……I didn’t have any adverse bowel habits after either which I was glad of as I had an hour drive home!!!

crohnsinct

I think it’s all individual. I have a horrible reaction to the breeze drinks. As soon as I finish the first bottle I am non stop in the bathroom and am scared I won’t make it through the whole exam. I always make it through but have to run as soon as they take out the iv. I also have a king car ride home and have to stop multiple times.

My two daughters with Crohn’s do ok. One daughter make it to the exam and home fine. The other makes it through the exam but has to go to the bathroom a lot after.

Good luck!

Lynda Lynda

My MR Enterography is tomorrow. Of course I am in a panic about pooping on the MRI table. I have to drink 48 ounces of contrast material that contains sugar alcohols. I guess the sugar alcohols help them to get better images ? Sugar alcohols give me diarrhea, so I never purchase sugar free foods because they contain sugar alcohols. I have to drink the contrast material 1 hour before the MRE and then the MRE takes 30 minutes to compete. Yikes !

I have had a CT scan with the same contrast material, but a CT Scan is fast and quick to complete, so I did not poop on the CT table but as soon as I stood up after the CT Scan I ran to their restroom and I had watery diarrhea.

Even more fun, my colonoscopy is in August. That involves 64 oz of Gatorade, Miralax and also Dulcolax laxative pills. I have to do at home and then have a driver take me to my colonoscopy and to bring me home and I am always worrying about pooping in the driver's vehicle. The only good part about the ride is that I only have to be transported a couple of miles.

Thanks for listening. 🦋

my little penguin

Staff member
So for the MRE you drink that at the hospital
They have bathroom in the prep room
So you should be ok
If not
It’s not the first time at hospital has seen an accident.
For the colonoscopy prep
Ds has used the same prep since age 7
We start at 8 am
So last dose of ducolax is at 4 pm
So he is clear/clean before morning
Gets to sleep all night and no worries on trip to hospital
Good luck 🍀

crohnsinct

Oh @Lynda Lynda i so do feel for you! I have only done two and the result of both was “non sufficient contrast”. Why? Because I was in the bathroom non stop before the exam. They once took too long getting the table and machine ready and I had to leave the room 3 times. Idk how but I made it through the exam. I told the tech about my problem and they reassured me I wouldn’t be the first to go to the bathroom in the machine. But somehow I always make it through.

My GI won’t even order the exam for me anymore.

Good luck! Sending you lots of no poop vibes!

Lynda Lynda

The MRE techs told me to lay on my stomach with my arms above my head. I was in pain laying this way due to many other health issues I have. I decided to try it. After a few minutes in the MRI tube in that position I told them to get me out. I needed assistance in sitting upright. I sobbed from my body pain and almost vomited. They got permission for me to lay on my back for the MRE. This caused discomfort, but it was tolerable and I completed the test in a timely manner. I couldn't wait to leave that building. I was never told ahead of time that I would have to lay on my stomach, so from now on I will ask that question before any kind of testing. The technicians were not caring or compassionate at all, I felt they were just in a hurry to get my test done. I have had MRI, CT scan, ultrasounds and x-rays and never had to go through what I did yesterday. I have been sleeping in a recliner for 15 years because of the pain caused by laying down, whether it be on my stomach, back or sides. I have spina bifida occulta, a low lying tethered spinal cord, bilateral rotator cuff syndrome, arthritis in my hips, and degenerative disc disease in my neck. Basically I have very little mobility. I wish technicians would understand that not everyone can put their arms above their head, move their head or lay down on their back / sides. I have that handicapped licence plate on my vehicle for a reason. As far as having diarrhea from the Breeze, I was amazed that I could leave the building without having to use the bathroom ! And I was actually able to run one errand before returning home. ( But when I ran that errand I DID have to use the restroom at that business and that is when I had the gushing watery diarrhea from the Breeze. ) It was my birthday yesterday too. I won't schedule any tests or procedures on my birthday ever again.
Take Care. 🌹