• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRE question

Maya142

Staff member
M just had an MRE today. It went well -- she didn't throw up the barium (Volumen) which was her biggest fear, since she threw up a LOT when she had her small bowel follow through last fall.

She drank some of it and got very nauseous, so then they allowed us to put it through her G tube. She did still get full and nauseous but managed to keep the contrast down. She was THRILLED about not having to drink most of it. One of the perks of having a feeding tube, I guess ;).

She is still not feeling great and I'm wondering how long kids take to feel better. She's very nauseous and has a stomach ache. Her last MRE was in 2014, so I honestly don't remember when she felt better last time.

Any ideas? Besides pushing fluids, is there anything I can do?

my little penguin

Staff member
Push fluids and miralax
Barium sits and sits
Gp causes things to sit more
Once you have white bm you know it's out of the gut
I think it took 24 hours for ds
But he was inpatient and only on clear fluids no solids
So last time wasn't a good example

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hope she feels better by tomorrow. :ghug: S has never had a problem after MREs but he doesn't have Gp either. He also drank lots to help clear it through his system. (But, agree re tube - S had the barium through NG tube once or twice too to avoid drinking it. :) )

Maya142

Staff member
Hopefully next week! Her GI wanted to see the results of MRE before starting Entyvio, mostly to make sure she doesn't have a fistula.

But we're still waiting on insurance approval for Entyvio anyway, so it might be a while before her first infusion :yrolleyes:.

M is feeling a little bit better now, so hopefully by tomorrow she will be back to normal.

Maya142

Staff member
Amazingly, the MRE results are already up on the portal. I almost can't believe it, especially since the test was done on a Friday afternoon.

No fistula! Some thickening in her TI but I'm pretty sure that was there when we did the last MRE.

We're really pleased and are REALLY hoping insurance will approve Entyvio soon, so we can start it.

M is pretty much back to normal - no belly pain today. We have upped her Miralax to get the Barium out!

Just an FYI.....My son absolutely could not get that barium down. His GI spoke directly to the radiologist about alternatives and my son was allowed to use pineapple juice as a contrast. He drank 1 quart in the radiology office, just like you would drink the barium. Not sure how the juice the works but the MRE was done along with IV contrast.