• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRE Results

Hi

I have Crohns, there's no debating that, but I got a copy of my MRE results today and I'd love to 'put it out there' and see what you all take from them.

• The terminal ileum and ileocecal valve demonstrates thickening without submucosal oedema or contrast hyperenhancement in keeping with chronic crohns changes.
  • RIF small bowel wall thickening and stricturing as seen on the CT scan, approximately 28cm from the ileocecal junction. No hyperenhancement. No fistula.
  • LIF mid to distal ileum short segment bowel wall hyperenhancement and thickening. Surrounding mesenteric fat stranding is in keeping with crohns flare. No fistula formation seen.
  • Multiple scattered short segments of nonenhancing thickened ileal wall in the left lower quadrant without evidence of bowel obstruction.
  • Large Bowel: Chronic ileocecal valve thickening as described. The ascending, transverse, descending, and sigmoid colon are normal.

Conclusion: Scattered regions of bowel wall thickening throughout the ileum including the terminal ileum and ileocecal valve in keeping with the chronic changes of crohns. Short segment mid to distal ileum hyperenhancement in keeping with active crohns disease. No fistual formation, obstructions or abscess throughout the large and small bowel.

Scipio

Well, it sounds like you have the "patchy" distribution of inflamed areas ("thickening") in the ileum and ileocecal area that is common in Crohn's. You also have some structuring, but the good news is they didn't see any sign of fistulas.

So I'd say this is not great news but it could have been worse.

Well, it sounds like you have the "patchy" distribution of inflamed areas ("thickening") in the ileum and ileocecal area that is common in Crohn's. You also have some structuring, but the good news is they didn't see any sign of fistulas.

So I'd say this is not great news but it could have been worse.
Thank you. I like to hear different perspectives. I have a colonoscopy in July and another MRE in December.