• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRI and diarrhoea?

Hello fellow chronies,

Had an MRI today, just wondering if anyone else has suffered from an...ummm...'laxative" effect following all that vile contrast they make you drink? It really is quite disgusting! And had 4 lots of D since...:applause:

Really hoping its that and not the prednisone taper, due to go down to 15mg on Friday, nearly there yay!!:ybiggrin:

Crohn's Mom

I happened to have a CT scan yesterday...and I can tell you...it definitely is the contrast!
OMG ! horrid and awful !! Let's just say, it's so bad that I have a lot of extra laundry to do tomorrow !! :lol2::lol2:

agh that does sound bad! I haven't been quite that bad but good to know I can blame the contrast! How revolting is that stuff!! Plus after half an hour in the scanner my bladder was ready to burst, cruel and unusual torture!!

I didn't get too much D from the contrast, but it did taste nasty, and the worst part was that I had to pee SO bad! I've had the contrast twice, once for a CT and once for an MRI. For the CT I was ok since it was so quick, but when I had the MRI, I had to get up and pee in the middle because I was about to pee my pants! It was embarrassing. oh well.

Oh yeah, I remember it quite well. Thankfully they gave me something that allowed me to make it all the way home first. Yeah, it was bad going for a little while.

Thankfully the tech could actually SEE that I had to go pee, so she stopped the test to let me out. It was very nice of her to be so thoughtful.

Oh yeah! They had to come get me out of the bathroom to start my MRI even. How embarassing that was...
Not a fun time, it should pass quickly though.

Oh definitely. The contrast for my MRI last time went through me so fast I was worried I was going to have an accident before the MRI even started. I found it strange that they did not clearly indicate where the bathrooms are from that part of the building. Once it was over I ran and threw my clothes (the bathrooms are next to the front desk) on and almost didn't make it to the bathroom.

Hi,

Didn't cause me a problem. Just as well as I had to get public transport back from the centre of London! There are a number of different contrast agents that can be used and people all react differently.

Hope you have a good outcome from the scan.

Mark

Hi,

Didn't cause me a problem. Just as well as I had to get public transport back from the centre of London! There are a number of different contrast agents that can be used and people all react differently.

Hope you have a good outcome from the scan.

Mark
THanks Mark, the outcome was pretty good no small bowel involvement, happy days! Unfortunately large bowel is pretty sick looking which we already knew form the scope.... but I have a great consultant and he is confident we'll get it licked....had the bloodwork done today to hopefully start azathioprine in a couple of weeks, keen to get cracking on it!
I lived in London for 8 years so can imagine what a complete nightmare having to get public transport when you have the screaming trots would be, lucky your body didnt want to spit that vile stuff out in a hurry! Yuk Yuk Yuk!!

I didn't get too much D from the contrast, but it did taste nasty, and the worst part was that I had to pee SO bad! I've had the contrast twice, once for a CT and once for an MRI. For the CT I was ok since it was so quick, but when I had the MRI, I had to get up and pee in the middle because I was about to pee my pants! It was embarrassing. oh well.
haha, yes I did consider asking to stop so I could pee but hung on, made a very quick dash once we were done though, the relief!!

I had MRI yesterday and had to drink 1.5 litres of metimucil (a fibre drink) then during the MRI they gave me buscapan which is for cramping to stop movement of the bowel and make it visible. I didn't get that "wet yourself feeling when they injected contrast so maybe I got a small dose. But I did find myself rushing to the loo all night,

Yeah I've had buscopan in pill form too with no probs, think it must be a higher dose when it's iv or something, not sure...they did warn me it'd happen, was probably a bit of a hazard driving home ;-)