• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRI due to possible Humira side effects

I was off and on Humira for around 5 years until 2012. At that point I discontinued due to developing a severe rash on my head and behind my ears. My doctor switched me to Cimzia and that was when the fun began. I realized that when I was on Humira I had been experiencing progressively worse numbness and tingling in my arms and legs (mostly arms). They would feel heavy and dead for a couple of days, and then it would get better. While I was on Humira I mostly ignored it, because by the time I thought I should do something, the symptoms would be gone.

Then I had two loading doses of Cimzia (I put this in the Humira forum because I was on Humira much longer and was on it when I developed the initial symptoms). I developed a huge blotchy rash that covered most of my body and then I experienced the numbness and tingling like I never had before. For five days my arms and legs felt like I had pins and needles in them. I could barely get out of bed. My GI doctor referred me to a neurologist, who I'm seeing in December.

In the meantime, I went to my PCP and explained my symptoms and that I was worried that anti-TNF drugs had caused some sort of neurological symptoms. She ordered a cervical MRI, which I had on Friday. I won't get the results for a few days, as she is out of town. I'm scared that I'm going to find out something, like that I now have MS. Or if nothing is found, then what? Something caused these bizarre symptoms.

Have any of you ever experienced these weird pins and needles feelings after taking anti-TNF drugs? Another GI doctor wants me back on Humira, but needless to say I'm not doing anything until I get the results of my test back.

Rash is one of the most common side effects of Cimzia and it has a higher incidence of side effects than Humira.
Here's the website that lists reported adverse effects and the frequency of Cimzia:
http://www.drugcite.com/?q=CIMZIA&a=&s=

Here's the same website for Humira:
http://www.drugcite.com/?q=HUMIRA

Aside from injection site pain Humira side effects are low probability and possibly they would have occurred with or without Humira, may be more an effect of the immune system problem, not the medication.

I have had much worse problems with other Crohn's drugs, and now have tingling, pins and needles in my arms and hands, but that's from arthritic and herniated cervical discs from an accident. I also have a long history of osteoarthritis and inflammatory problems like tennis elbow and carpal tunnel syndrome but these are from my generally hyperactive immune system that's caused the Crohn's.

PsychoJane

Have you seen a rheumatologist? Do you know if they ran antibodies test checking your histone, ANA titer, anti-dsDNA and such? The problem can originate from the medication and they should definitively check that prior to bounce you back on other medication (that's my opinion from dealing with multiple random side effects from Humira that surprisingly fade away when I stopped taking it...). Sure, it is a possibility that you are dealing with an other type of autoimmune disease and not just IBD but I would seek for advice to discriminate the drug-induced potential before anything, that's why I was asking about the rheumatologist. That's to whom I've been referred when I showed up unable to walk at the ER one day...

Hi all

I recently started feeling tingling in my legs, feet and once in my arm. It's not so much pins and needles, just more of a cold tingle. I've been on Humira for 4 months now and haven't really experienced any side effects except for itchiness for a day or two at the injection site. I'm not even sure if the tingling is related, but I did read that it was one of the side effects. I find it a little odd though that I'm feeling this 4 months after I started rather than from the beginning. When did you guys start feeling the tingles in your treatment process? Any thoughts/advice on all of this?

Thx
Lindsay

Hi Lindsay - I've been on Humira for about 6 months now, and I'm having the tingling/pain thing in (mostly) my right arm. It's freaking me out. I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering, did you ever get anymore information about it?

I'm seeing a neurologist next week, and I'm kind of freaking out. The Humira has been great for my CD, but I can do without this weird tingling nonsense. Thanks!

Brian