• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

mRNA vaccines for Covid and immunosuppression

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi all,

Very exciting and positive news on the results of the two vaccines!! YAY!!

However, I have a question... are mRNA vaccines considered 'live' vaccines? Can someone on a biologic or any immunosuppressive medication safely receive these vaccines? I brought this up weeks/months ago on another thread but there was never any consensus...

I found an article discussing mRNA vaccines but, unfortunately, I don't fully understand all the material.

It states that mRNA vaccines are non-infectious, so I 'think' that means it would be safe but I'm not sure if I'm understanding the details correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts??

https://www.frontiersin.org/files/A...00594-HTML-r1/image_m/fimmu-10-00594-t001.jpg

(Also posted this to the Research subforum)

my little penguin

Staff member
The issue is what they attach the covid spikes to get it into the body to trigger a response
Some used adenovirus version that most adults haven’t seen ... not sure which ones ...
Found this

Ds had adenovirus once abd was required to stop humira
So I don’t really know
Please ask your son’s Gi
Pziefer and moderna use different things I think in each
But need to do more research

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks for the links, MLP. They actually explain a lot!

I don't know if you remember a couple of years ago, there was a question if S had adenovirus or reactive arthritis. The bloodwork for adenovirus was tested at a public health lab and, with government bureaucracy/size, S never did receive the results! After the symptoms went away on their own, he had no more interest in continuing to follow up (and, as he was an adult, I couldn't do it for him). While it may have no bearing, I wish I knew now if he did have adenovirus and has built up antibodies (although, I'm sure that can be tested).

Thanks again! Although I still don't have an answer to whether S can have these vaccines, it all makes much more sense now!