• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MTX preservative free

Well I recently had to get my prescription renewed and my Doctor says to get Preservative free which what was called in to the pharmacy. the question I have for you guys is since these vials I got are 25ml and I was told to use it only once and waste ( throw away the rest). Because its susceptible to Bacteria and other nasty things we don't need without a immune system.

problem is I've taken it before and I guess unknowingly rolled the dice. I also have some of the smaller vials of the preservative MTX. What do you guys do and think? i guess there is a scientific reason behind the Doctor requesting preservative free MTX.

nogutsnoglory

I'm on the non-refrigerated MTX but it probably has preservatives. I get two doses from each vile. I'm supposed to wipe the tip of the vile with an alcohol swab before.

I'm not sure if you have a different version but it's best to follow the doctors orders and you can certainly bring it up.

Yes, I get Preservative free 25 ml vile. That's the only type my pharmacy supply. One use only, trash the rest. It does seems like a waste of medicine...

nogutsnoglory

I always have left over after my 2 uses. Maybe it's just extra for ease of loading the syringe and in case any spurts out.

nogutsnoglory

My vile is good for two uses. Each has 50mg and alcohol as a preservative.

I always find there is leftover so I think they may be putting a tad more in there.