• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Much Ado About Nothing! eh!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
This is place to talk about...well nothing really!

It might be somewhere that you want to put a funny story or talk about the culinary delights of your country or state. Perhaps it is a place to discuss the linguistic differences between us eh, or about the family holiday. Maybe just maybe we will come here when we feel guilty about hijacking someone's thread and talking about...nothing! :biggrin:

Most of all I think it will be a place to come to escape the reality in which we all live and that can't be a bad thing eh. :wink:

Thanks guys...:ghug:...and recognition must be made to Farmwife for both the idea and the title! :medal1:

Dusty. :)

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (Imagen tears running down my face as I accept this major award)
:queen:
First I would like to thank my parents for teaching my that windmills are the source of all our wind.:cool:

I would also like to thank my hair stylist when I was 13 for dying my hair purple and lying that it was red. I was teased for weeks.:blush:

But most of all, to my dear husband for telling me beavers only kill people at night!:shifty:

Farmwife:soledance:

Tesscorm

Staff member
OMG, Wisconsin-ites use 'eh' too!!! Farmwife - they even have a definition for it! :lol:

Farmwife - great idea for this thread!! Your speech left me a blubbering mess! :cry:

Dusty - as always, great intro - no one could've said it better! :D

crohnsinct

WT Hey Farmwife? Didn't thank your cast and crew...the little people who helped you achieve such greatness?

KWalker...Congratulations! I hope you never really have a reason to be here other than fun and general parenting advice and sicussing the best Poutine recipe and beaver tails!

crohnsinct

Marjaw: That was hilarious but dear Lord another city hater! Seriously where is my gang? Hiding in an alley somewhere?

Eh? So what are you saying, y'all have windmills up ya bum???

OH MY, Is that where it really comes from?:ywow: WOW, my parents have lied to me all these years!!!:ymad: I calling them NOW!
:thumright:They won't believe this!:thumleft:

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
@marjaw...We use the term bubbler too! I just googled it and aside from some weird ass places in the US, just joking! (or amI) Oz is the only other place that uses the word. How weird is that!

Thank god for this thread or I would never have never known! :worthy: It has paid for itself already! :lol:

Tesscorm

Staff member
That is too funny... you (meaning both Dusty and marjaw) really do say 'bubbler' ?!?!?

So, let's see... if we mix a Canadian with an Aussie/Wisconsonite with a midwest farmer's wife and throw in a bit of Brit asking for a drink of water... we'd have

Hey y'all, I'm dang parched here, if anyone's seen a blimey bubbler give me a hoy, eh? :ybatty:

crohnsinct

HEY! But my barn proof had a picture of cute little O in it! And I'll have you know those dilapidated old barns are still standing...right through the supposed Tornado...good thing O wasn't standing in front of them or she would be in Canada by now eh.

And seriously?! Not much happening in your parts for an article that long to be written about darn bubblers and the quality of the drinking water...ratepayers=taxpayers I assume.

In case your wondering in the city if you find a bubble and it actually works you don't drink from it...never know who used it as a toilet!

crohnsinct

And just to take the wind out of Farmwife's sails... yes I know you don't have bubblers in the country but life is so clean and pure and natural that if you get thirsty you can just take a drink from the creek (pronounced crick) while you are catching tadpoles...

crohnsinct

And speaking of using a toilet...I was in a drug store today with O and that girl had to go. She asked the clerk if she could use the rest room. He said no employees only...do I need to paint a picture of mamma bear racing down the aisle to kick clerks ass? Needless to say she got to use their bathroom. Don't mess with a Crohns mom...we know the bathroom laws!!!!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
So not true crohnsinct! Yup, we drink out of the crick but sometimes we head to the big smoke (town of about 2,000) and they is pretty darn sophisticated there cos they have a bubbler in the park where we skin our rabbits and catch yabbies, then we throw them on that outdoor cooking stove, I think they call it a BBQ!

OK, from a former Bostonian (lived in Los Angeles and now in Midwest) I have chuckled to myself in the city vs country exchanges (Thanks, Farmwife, CrohnsinCt and DustyKat for the entertainment). Find myself true to my roots, mostly a city girl at heart (surrounded by country boys, husband and kids)... Here is how ya tawk baustin.. just rememba if it ends in a "r", drop the "r" and if it ends in a "a" add an "r" so...car =cah and tuna fish is tuner fish.
http://www.citydictionary.com/MA/Boston/9566/?sort=0

BTW, Boston also refers to a water fountain as a "bubblah"

Love Canadians, used to go up to Montreal to watch the Bruins and Canadians play. Montreal is such an awesome city.

Still can not get used to some Midwest expressions, Why do they say your need to put that "up" whan they mean put that away and away may be down?

Hubby said one time that he would like to live somewhere rural... my response.."I can hear cow moos from our back deck....we are NOT gettin more rural than this"

Tesscorm

Staff member
Okay, bad enough my coworkers think I'm a bit batty, staring at my computer and LMAO on my own... now my husband's walking by shaking his head! :lol:

By the way, Crohnsinct, you've got your stories wrong... O would be in Kansas now, NOT Canada, with her little Toto! :lol:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Woohoo! WTG Mama!

Now all you need to do is call a restroom a toilet and a drugstore a pharmacy! Get it right girl! :lol:

crohnsinct

HOLLA Mom of twin boys!!!

Dusty and Tesscorm...LMAO!

Hat trick...we have hockey in the states but not 100% sure what exactly that means...something to do with the number three...please don't tell my girlfriend who married a Stanley Cup winning all star hockey player. She told me she met someone when we were really young. She was getting married. I was all protective asking what he did. She said he plays hockey. Yeah but can you guys make it on that (she was a struggling model) she says yeah I think so. She told me his name I was like yeah o.k. whatever. I went home told my brother and he almost fainted.

Tesscorm

Staff member
That is sooo sweet!!! I hope you got her a sticker! :D

Dusty, Crohnsinct, you must have some Canadian blood in you... a hat trick is three goals in one game in hockey!!! Woohoo!!! :hockey::hockey::hockey:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Ahahaha, I thought hat trick was only a term used in cricket! Yeah in cricket it means you get three batters out in three consecutive balls. But do you know why it is called a hat trick! :lol:

Your secret is safe with me cause I have no idea about hockey or the Stanley Cup!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Wikipedia:

A hat-trick or hat trick in sport is the achievement of a positive feat three times during a game, or other achievements based on threes. The term was first used in 1858 in cricket to describe HH Stephenson's feat of taking three wickets in three balls. A collection was held for Stephenson, and he was presented with a hat bought with the proceeds.[1] The term was used in print for the first time in 1878.[2]
The term was eventually adopted by many other sports including association football, water polo, and team handball, but did not become popular in North America until the mid-1940s in the National Hockey League.

In hockey, fans throw their hats on the ice once a player has a hat trick.

crohnsinct

Heavens to Murgatroyd
Meaning
An exclamation of surprise.

Origin
'Heavens to Murgatroyd' is American in origin and dates from the mid 20th century. The expression was popularized by the cartoon character Snagglepuss - a regular on the Yogi Bear Show in the 1960s, and is a variant of the earlier 'heavens to Betsy'.

The first use of the phrase wasn't by Snagglepuss but comes from the 1944 film Meet the People. It was spoken by Bert Lahr, best remembered for his role as the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz. Snagglepuss's voice was patterned on Lahr's, along with the 'heavens to Murgatroyd' line. Daws Butler's vocal portrayal of the character was so accurate that when the cartoon was used to promote Kellogg Cereals, Lahr sued and made the company distance him from the campaign by giving a prominent credit to Butler.

As with Betsy, we have no idea who Murgatroyd was. The various spellings of the name - as Murgatroid, Mergatroyd or Mergatroid tend to suggest that it wasn't an actual surname. While it is doubtful that the writers of Meet The People (Sig Herzig and Fred Saidy) were referring to an actual person, they must have got the name from somewhere.

No fewer than ten of the characters in Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera Ruddigore, 1887, are baronets surnamed "Murgatroyd", eight of whom (or is that which?) are ghosts. Herzig and Saidy were well versed in the works of the musical theatre and that plethora of Murgatroyds would have been known to them.

Where then did the librettist Sir William Gilbert get the name? It seems that Murgatroyd has a long history as a family name in the English aristocracy. In his genealogy The Murgatroyds of Murgatroyd, Bill Murgatroyd states that, in 1371, a constable was appointed for the district of Warley in Yorkshire. He adopted the name of Johanus de Morgateroyde - literally John of Moor Gate Royde or 'the district leading to the moor'.

Whether the Murgatroyd name took that route from Yorkshire to Jellystone Park we can't be certain. Unless there's a Betsy Murgatroyd hiding in the archives, that's as close as we are likely to get to a derivation.

I still like the term "fair dinghum". It had me SMH at Dusty for weeks!

From what I remember of my Sociology class, in upstate NY they say we don't have an accent.

TY for the idea, fw, and thread, DK!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
For hire...The amazing pot plant cat sitter!...

photo-4.jpg

...this is Sarah's idea of outside time for Stella. :yrolleyes:

Tesscorm

Staff member
:lol:

Tracy - considering that the thread jumped to two pages in the span of an hour, NOTHING seems to be something we're all good at! :lol:

Crohnsinct - may be wrong but I think Dusty once called Stephen's Aussie GI a 'fair dinkum'... I think it was a good thing! ;)

Dusty - good for Sarah! Better than the alternative we've had to deal with... our dog has been sprayed by a skunk TWICE this summer!! UGGHHH!!! :eek:

crohnsinct

fair dinkum

1)Australian Slang Word to express suprise.
2)Statement of acknowledgement.

Similar term to "No Sh!t"
1)Person A - I nearly had a car accident today!
Person B - Fair Dinkum?

2)Person A - It's going to cost me lot of money to fix the car.
Person B - Fair Dinkum

Haha I googled it right away but then my dog got into a brawl with another dog who was off leash and on our property...our dog has electric fence. So had to run outside to break it up. Great! Now my dog has bad ass city rep too! We mine as well move back. No skunks in the city!!!

SUCH LANGUAGE DUSTY!!!

WHAT, y'all have a party with out me!!!!
Don't you guys sleep.
Have you even payed attention to your families today!

I read where one of your kids asked for at least a sticker after her exam. FUNNY
That made me think of a e-mail I got. This is for older kids/Adults with a great sense of humor!

Funny thing to ask the GI DURING your scope:

1. Take it easy Doc.. You're boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

And the best one of all:
12. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'

crohnsinct

Is a sudden desire to do housework an EIM cuz it is 10 a.m. and O hasn't come down yet. I went up to check on her and she is in the laundry room DOING ALL THE LAUNDRY!!!!!

We are going on vacation tomorrow and I haven't packed a thing so maybe she is just trying to tell me something...like get off the damn computer and get packin!

I tell my hubby all the time to fire his housekeeper and cook. :thumright:
But he says, :yfrown:no she should be forced to do it it it's done.:frown:
I don't believe men should marry more than one woman BUT...
I can sure see the benefit of it for the women.:biggrin:

Tesscorm

Staff member
When my husband 'nags' too much about something, I tell him he can look forward to having it done by his SECOND wife! :lol:

My hubby joked about me having a twin sister and second wives.:ymad:
For legal purposes I can not type what happen next to him.:eek:rder::runaway:

Tesscorm

Staff member
I've seen variations of this joke a few times... may even have seen it on here somewhere???

Man of the House

The husband had just finished reading a new book entitled, You Can Be the Man of Your House.

He stormed over to his wife in the kitchen and announced, "From now on, you need to know that I am the man of this house and my word is Law. You will prepare me a gourmet meal tonight, and when I'm finished eating my meal, you will serve me a sumptuous dessert. After dinner, you are going to go upstairs with me and...well... you get the point.

"Later, you are going to draw me a bath so I can relax. You will wash my back and towel me dry and bring me my robe.... Then, you will massage my feet and hands. Then tomorrow, guess who's going to dress me and comb my hair?"

Without even looking up from her morning paper the wife replied, "The funeral director would be my first guess."

:rof::rof::rof:What an awesome way to get the day started!!! You all have had me in stitches!!

crohnsinct- Oh if it is an EIM I sure hope C gets it. Right now it works like this. Me: Time to do some cleaning. C::eek:utahere:

Kudos to Farmwife and Dusty...great idea!!

WHAT, y'all have a party with out me!!!!
Don't you guys sleep.
Have you even payed attention to your families today!

I read where one of your kids asked for at least a sticker after her exam. FUNNY
That made me think of a e-mail I got. This is for older kids/Adults with a great sense of humor!

Funny thing to ask the GI DURING your scope:

1. Take it easy Doc.. You're boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

And the best one of all:
12. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'
:rof::rof::rof::rof:

LMAO this is fantastic!!

crohnsinct

Ha! When I got married I told my husband I could only be good in one room in the house...He didn't pick kitchen or laundry room:p

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hey Crohnsinct... Saw somewhere else you're heading off on vacation! :D Hope O got all your laundry and packing done! :lol: Have a great time!!! Are you heading off somewhere exciting?!?!?

crohnsinct

Barns...haha I won't go in them...the residents scare me.

Getting in the car at 6 a.m. with the two younger girls and two dogs (one of them a 60 pound greyhound the other a psychotic Catahoula) and going to West Virginia to pick up Gaby from her mission work (she is roofing houses - I can't get her to put her dish in the sink and she is roofing complete strangers houses!!!). After that driving to Florida to see my parents for a few days, then off to West Palm Beach for a week just the immediate fam, then back to rents to see them brother, sil and nieces then drive home.

I am packing the Prednisone to ward off the evil Crohns spirits! You know the drill...if you have it you won't need it.

I HATE packing...still don't have one thing in a bag! I am pathetic...not a word Farmwife!

Thanks for all that - a good laugh. Awake at nearly 1am after watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics.
Everyone in bed but me - the tooth fairy has to come tonight!! I am sitting waiting for Amy to go to sleep so I can go and rake around for the tooth.
Have a good holiday Crohnsinct!

Sascot-
I'm glad you got a good laugh!:hug:
But just to warn you the Tooth Fairy can cause problems in your home.
That's right!!! The Tooth Fairy visited my little sister one night.
She came down the stars shouting for joy! :applause:
It seemed the Tooth Fairy left her a hundred dollar bill.:ywow:
My Daddy was so MAD at that Tooth Fairy:angry-banghead:
We then had to put our tooths into glass jars by the sink:(

However, that bill magical turned into a 1 dollar bill by the next morning!:eek2:

The moral of the story...Don't mix up money in the middle of the night!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oooooo, have a fab vacation crohnsinct!
...assuming you get your bag packed in time! :ylol2:

Good luck with the tooth fairy Sascot!

And Farmwife...LMAO at your Dad!...all the more reason for you guys to adopt our monopoly money!...

Tesscorm

Staff member
Pasobuff - what a cutie!! :D

Crohnsinct - guess teen girls are all the same! :ybatty: Enjoy the trip!

Farmwife - LMAO!!! :rof:

and, Dusty... your monopoly money looks just like ours! (I would post a pic too but haven't a clue how! :redface:)

Here's ours. So pretty, like a rainbow. Soon it will even be plastic just like the Australian currency! Definitely less confusing for the poor tooth fairy...

Attachments

@jmickinley "fixin'" lol!!! Dredging up the country vs. city debate, eh?
lol-ing here too!

julytrip173-1.jpg

LOVE the rainbow money...ours is so boring!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Plastic Twiggy! Bite your tongue...they are p-o-l-y-m-e-r! :rof: I reckon they made up that fandangled name cause they thought we wouldn't like plastic money! :lol:

Love the pic Angie! :wub:

I would really like to adopt the Old British system of money....there is just something fun about saying farthing, Ha'penny, penny, thrupenny bit, sixpence, shilling, two bob bit, half crown, ten bob note...just such colorful words!!!

Lol thanks I needed that. We don't say eh or fair dinghum in Michigan... You just get a lot of WTF from here. We are the worst economy, cheapest housing in all of the USA, and not to mention the downfall of the big 3. We think and type WTF more than anyone else in the world I think.

If I actually lol'ed in real life as much as I lol'ed on the Internet people would think I were a bit nuts. Just saying

Ok, I have few minutes to right about the true country art of cow tippin.

Cow tippin is simply to walk up to a cow that's sleeping in the upright position and push over until the animal falls.

Thing to consider when cow tippin.
1- Alcohol should never be involved before or during this event!
2- Night time is the best for this. Cow's can't see you coming.
3- Walk quietly. They mat not see you but they might hear you. Getting killed in a stampede is not the way to go.
4- Make sure the bull is not present at this time. They will charge you and will not stop if your screaming for you life
5- Approach the cows only.
6- Push on their sides quickly and swiftly.

Words of warning!!!!
1-Trespassing is illegal. The cops will not think this is cute.
2 After pushing cow over. Their is a chance she might brake and or injure something. You will get fined if caught.
3- Their is a chance of injury to you from being shoot by a farmer.
NOT because we're MEAN, but because we figure you are to stupid to live!!!!!!!:rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

Last edited:

Crohn's Mom

What's with the Aussies trying to beat our USA's misty may and Carrie Walsh in volleyball at the olympics DustyKat ?!?!! LOL I'm not happy right this minute ... :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Settle petal! :lol:

Okay confession time now T and don't you get me started or you may regret it! :nonono::ylol:...I find the Olympics and sports in general about as interesting as watching grass grow! The whole money thing...lets not go there. :stinks:

Dusty. :eek:utahere:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh no! I have burst your bubble, how unpatriotic of me!...

Dusty. :eek:zythunder::eek:zythunder::eek:zythunder::eek:zythunder:

Crohn's Mom

Im not a big fan of watching sports either, but I do have a soft spot for the Olympics, and tennis in general. Gab and Austin have played nearly their entire lives :)

No bursting of any bubbles here..I won't watch sports with my husband due to his non-stop screaming at the tv thinking they can actually hear him coach ! :rof:

Tesscorm

Staff member
I won't watch sports with my husband due to his non-stop screaming at the tv thinking they can actually hear him coach ! :rof:
:lol:

You ought to hear some of the parents at our 'kids' soccer and hockey games! :ywow:

Farmwife - I bet you'd be watching the tv if Cow-tipping was an olympic sports!:wink: And, thank god Emily no longer rides - all those Saturdays I thought she was safe and sound, doing 'healthy' activities at the barn and, now I learn, she was actually cow-tipping! :eek:

Catharine - hope the coach is moving along and you weren't too badly delayed! :)

Catherine

The swimming coach was a hour late, no fun sitting in a cold car at 5 am with 4 kids and the day only got better from then. School nurse rang 10, to say Sarah needed to be ppicked up followed by a trip to the gp.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
On a lighter note, my half-brother came by yesterday afternoon - he lives about 3 hours away and had to go back up past Watertown (another 4 hours past me) to get his boat which he left there after his vacation last week when he lost a wheel hub/bearing.....

Anywho- he got here in the afternoon, in time for the rain to have disappeared, then I grabbed my Mom and daughter and we went out for a nice 2-3 hour ride up and down the Mohawk River!.....then he spent the night before heading out at the crack of dawn....

Nice visit!

ps - hope Sarah is ok!!!

crohnsinct

Hey girls! Got some downtime on vacation and thought I would get caught up.

Paso and Ang: can your kids get any cuter?

Who carries money anymore? Debit or credit! I want pretty money.

Bully Aussies! Beat USA in womens 400 realy in swimming!

Dusty: heard on the Olympics broadcast today the Australians hold the world record for longest and I think largest pub crawl...could you get behing that?

Catherine: glad sarah is feeling better

My baby turned 18 today...she can't drink legally yet but to celebrate she bought a lottery ticket (legally)(didn't tell her our religion frowns on gambling...but sure if I hit the jackpot and tithed the winnings that would be o.k. with them) and drove her sisters for the first time (previously had jr license so couldn't). Damn I am getting old...quiet farmwife.

Check in with you guys in a few days. Stay well!

Late response, but yes Amy does have a great sense of humour and she did get some stickers. When we thought her tummy ache was simple constipation she called it Bob in hopes the hard stool would turn into a blob. Now she talks to him, telling him to leave her alone. Lol

Crohnsinct- Tell your baby girl a late happy B-day from me. :birthday2:
I'd rather have my kid buy lotto tickets than liquor!!!
Of course that could untimely lead to a life of a gambling addition.
You know, never mind!!:shifty:

On to the fine art of Cow Skiing!

It's way more easier then cow tippin.
RULES

1- No liquor should be involved. EVER
2- This works best in the cement poo covered barnyard.
Go just after the cows have been their awhile.
One cow can poo 100 lbs. a day.:ywow:
3 Walk to a cow.
4- Grab tail of cow.
5- Hold on to tail as long as you can
6- KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!

I've never done this because I like to keep clean.
My hubby does not do this because I do his laundry!!!:D

Last edited: