• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Much Ado About Nothing! eh!

I think maybe you have to have walls in your living room before you put a tree up...in the middle of major house reno that of course we started the Monday after Thanksgiving! Since we are doing the reno ourselves I also haven't done any shopping or cards or decorating anywhere else in the house (too much dust).
Oh man--you're brave! Sounds like a major project!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
No Christmas tree here. Our house is too small and we also have a kitty who would not leave it alone... We have lit our Hanukkah lights this week though :).

crohnsinct

Oh man--you're brave! Sounds like a major project!
Well it wasn't supposed to be but it was like the book "if you give a mouse a cookie".

Let's repair this wall.
If we do that wall rePair this bookcase
Rip it out I never liked it
If we rip that one out have to rip the other out
Oops have to repair those walls
No floor under bookcase
Original wall a mess because of water damage
Repair gutters
Patch wood floor
Rip up rug
Sand and finish floor
Can't put ugly chairs in new room
Paint and reupholster 6 old chairs

House built in 1835 so lots of little surprises.

Tree will go up christmas eve the latest

Trees been up about a week. Most of the shopping done. Stockings are full.

My DD helped put up and decorate the tree last week. Of you ever want C out of your hair just mention bring the tree and ornaments out. He picked up an extra work shift just to avoid that holiday magic! Doesn't mind opening the presents though!

Our tree is up and most shopping done and wrapped! Andrew loves Christmas so took him to London and went to the Winter Wonderland. I love all the lights, it's always sad when they get taken down in January!

Maya142

Staff member
Finally got a tree and our kitten is very interested in chewing on it (of course).
We looked it up and apparently Christmas trees are mildly toxic to cats and
dogs :ybatty:.

It's going to be a fun christmas :eek:.

No tree yet. Have to wait for a friend with a truck. Shopping is done, minus the calendars I always make for the grandparents. Now to sweat while we enjoy the holiday activities. It was 83 degrees today!

Tree went up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Shopping is finished minus some delays from Amazon. All that's left is cookies!

crohnsinct

You people have to stop! I am freaking out! Still no sign of Christmas in my house and only a smattering of gifts bought! I a going to log off the forum until after Christmas! :eek:utahere:

Ha CIC, you still have me beat.:ack: I haven't even got gifts yet. No tree, no gifts, no decorations yet.
I swear I love Christmas but the no snow is killing the drive to get anything done.
My kids start Christmas break on Friday. I guess I'll get into the spirit then!

On a funny note,
Have y'all seen those blow up Christmas figures, like the 10 foot kind of Santa, reindeer and snowmen?
I pulled into a fancy subdivision yesterday and saw a bunch on a law and thought to myself they looked so gaudy:ack: Pulled closer and realized it was my mom's house.:rof:

Got a message from the high school this AM that a student made threats on social media earlier this morning and that police were going to be in the schools and having a presence. They said the student wasn't going to be in school today. Even though DS wasn't feeling great (again), he felt he had to go to school so no one would think it was him. Just another thing for kids (and parents) to worry about.

Nausea woke him up last night around midnight. He was up for 45 minutes, took a Zofran, and went back to bed. I have to get through my scope today and then call his GI again. DS and I were quite the pair last night!

Maya142

Staff member
Aw poor kiddo. Did the Zofran help? Nausea shouldn't be waking him up at night, I would definitely call his GI.

Farmwife - :rof: So funny!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Aren't we all a bunch of busy little beavers! :D

FW - LOL! I have the opposite problem with my outdoor decorations - we have none, which wouldn't necessarily be outrageous except for the fact that I LOVE them and my husband is an electrician!!! :ymad: I've been asking for years that he spend some time to put up lights... for me, for the kids, for the spirit of the season, etc. and he just always puts it off! I've threatened (and, swear, I will do it one day!) to hire those Christmas light services to come do it for me! (I did actually look into it last year but the cost was like $700! :eek: -- cudn't bring myself to pay! :() BTW, pdx, I wish everyone left their lights on till Feb!! I think they look so pretty! It should be a 'all winter' tradition, not just for Christmas!

And, I do have the tree up and house decorated and a fair bit of my shopping done! :ytongue: I hosted a christmas party this past weekend so had a decorating deadline to meet! :lol:

Our neighborhood goes all out for holidays. We have a few decorations for Halloween but none for Christmas. My husband and ladders just don't mix. Fingers crossed we get our tree tonight! Then it will feel more like Christmas.

crohnsinct

cat nip.jpg

Catnip infused ornaments (sure to please!): For those moments when you think: “I really wish the cat would spend MORE time knocking the ornaments off the tree.”

Maya142

Staff member
I think that....never! Our kitten knocked off five ornaments and broke one today. Have no idea how to keep her away from the tree :ybatty:!

Tesscorm

Staff member
We put up a gate all around the tree this year because of our puppy! :lol: We bought a 3-piece gate to block the puppy into certain rooms/areas... ended up using it as a gate blocking the tree! :D

This morning I caught my puppy (she's 5 yrs old) delicately unwrapping a box of chocolates in a corner, which I had put under the tree last night.

hawkeye

Staff member
I think that....never! Our kitten knocked off five ornaments and broke one today. Have no idea how to keep her away from the tree :ybatty:!
Orange peels? Supposedly they don't like the citrus scent. Our cat just came home yesterday after a 6 night vet stay for urinary blockages.

crohnsinct

My kids are playing a new game on their phones. It is a Family Feud style game. category came up last night:

Things parents say to their kids

My girls yelled out, "let me see your poop"

I guess they didn't poll IBD kids because that wasn't one of them.

yep, I'm getting them too. I don't mind ads in theory--something needs to pay for the forum's servers--but the ads seem to be slowing things down a lot, and some are showing up inside of posts, which doesn't seem right.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
They were there last night, but gone this morning. They were pretty powerful and hard to ignore, weren't they. Very distracting.

crohnsinct

Omgosh! No one hit the powerball lottery and the jackpot is up to $1.3 billion!!!!!

New game! What would you do with your winnings?

My family would if ofcourse make a donation to the girls' hospital and CCFA but also open a residential school for special needs kids and adults. It would have horses, a farm, a performing arts center, pool and the best food possible!

Your turns!

hawkeye

Staff member
What is the amount that taxes take off of the lottery winnings? Here in Canada lottery winnings are tax free.

I'd donate some to charity, set some folks up for life and retire. Not sure what I'd do for a hobby / sideline once I retired. I'd keep my occupatiobal credentials and memberships up to date and perhaps work pro bono or on an expense only basis for a few hours a month.

crohnsinct

a few hours a month.
:rof: YES! We wouldn't want to over do it!

Taxes...50% is a safe bet. But here is the thing. With this lottery you only get the 1.3 billion if you agree to take payments each year until the $1.3 is reached. They have a lump sum cash payment option but then the jackpot is reduced. With the current jackpot the lump sum is $806 million...:boring: NOT!

Yep,of course take care of the family, set up a charitable foundation, would love to give grants for crohn's research and never fly commercial again!

I would love to open a pain clinic for kids here as there's none in Scotland. Donate some to charity and go on a relaxing holiday somewhere sunny. We have had about 2 days of sunshine since November!

Tesscorm

Staff member
OMGosh, I don't even know where I'd start... :ywow:

Absolutely take care of family, friends, definitely some charities and crohns research, I'd travel, volunteer and am not sure how I would fill my days otherwise but I'm sure it would be a fun and interesting challenge!... ;)

I'd buy a larger home...my forever home. I'd pay off all of our debt and buy lots of clothes/shoes. I have several friends/family members that I'd like to set up comfortably. Definitely do some traveling! I'd probably give to charities pretty freely because doing for others makes me feel good. And I'd never have to worry about medical debt again!!

Maya142

Staff member
I think we'd want to put the money towards a cure for AS! Also some money to Crohn's and Gastroparesis ;).

And I'd love to travel and go somewhere warm!

fuzzy butterfly

1.3 billion oh boy would i splash that around to a few folks n charities . To be free of debt n have my family n friends ok for life. That would be amazing. Id arrange to fly you all to a beautiful destination so we could all meet in person and have a wonderful carefree time. . ☺

Sort my family out donate a bit to the bluecross and migraine clinic/ouchuk some to crohns research and the rest is for me to fulfill my dream of relocating to Durban bar that I'm just gonna get saving have won the health lottery twice though lol ☺

Catherine

k did an open water swim today and it was very difficult. The course was 2km out and back. They were told the tide would assist them on the away out and return would be neutral or slightly assistance.

The event is listing as experience open water swimmers only with lower age limit of 16.

They normally pull out swimmers who will take longer than 90 mins to Finish. K was swimming with a older male swimmer, he asked her whether though the tide was really strong she agree it was. He check his watch, told her he was pulling out as they had already being swimming for 70 mins and were a long way from the turning mark.

K managed to catch one her team mates and they manage to complete the swim together. It was an amazing proformance by both girls:dance::dance:

:shifty:the tide was not giving any assistance on the way out:ywow:

crohnsinct

i read your message to o and she said,"she is amazing! Way to go k! Kicking some man butt!" I may have cleaned that up for the forum😉

Catherine

K was very happy to finish. 4kms total time 1 hr 47mins. First 2km approximately 1 hr 20 mins, return approximately 27 mins

Totally unrelated but I got a job!!!
Freaking me out slightly as I haven't worked for 17 years. Still can't believe they actually hired me, lol. Part time travel money consultant starting next month 😀

Way to go, K! When I told the boys she was doing that, they both got bug eyed. DS said he can hardly run a mile, let along swim 4K. Good for her!

Congratulations, Sascot! Is it presumptuous of me to assume you've accepted a job as a gastroenterologist? I'm sure you'd qualify. :)

The big news here is that DS is going on his first date this weekend. High school girl ask boy dance. I must admit, bit of a shock, but I'm very happy (and nervous) for him. He says she's even more shy than he is, so it ought to be an interesting night. Do you know how hard it is to find a suit for a boy who's not quite man sized??

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Way to go, K! When I told the boys she was doing that, they both got bug eyed. DS said he can hardly run a mile, let along swim 4K. Good for her!

Congratulations, Sascot! Is it presumptuous of me to assume you've accepted a job as a gastroenterologist? I'm sure you'd qualify. :)

The big news here is that DS is going on his first date this weekend. High school girl ask boy dance. I must admit, bit of a shock, but I'm very happy (and nervous) for him. He says she's even more shy than he is, so it ought to be an interesting night. Do you know how hard it is to find a suit for a boy who's not quite man sized??
Maybe you can rent something through a wedding shop?

Mehita - Just a suit, been there we had pretty good luck with JCPenny's a lot of their suits went up to 16/18 so in between that boy man size. Burlington as well.
Way to go K, makes me tired just thinking about it.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Congrats Sascot!!! How exciting! :dusty: But, I'm curious... what is a travel money consultant?

Mehita - how exciting too!! :D Good luck with the suit! Can't wait to hear how the date goes! :kiss:

Nothing too exciting, but a foot in the door and a bit of me time. I basically sort out people's travel money in whatever currency they need for their holidays. Should be nice - most customers will be happy since they are off on their holidays - a cheerful job.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Nothing too exciting, but a foot in the door and a bit of me time. I basically sort out people's travel money in whatever currency they need for their holidays. Should be nice - most customers will be happy since they are off on their holidays - a cheerful job.
Sounds nice and not too stressful. Enjoy!

I just wanted to post a word of warning about floor space heater with auto turn offs.

Well by God's grace we were spared from losing our house in a fire.:blush:

The 3 year old space heater in the entry way tipped over after I left to take the kids to school.
My hubby was running late to farm chores ( thank God) and came in to get his bibs on and saw a smoking space heater... still running... tipped over.... on high heat.:ywow:
It would have only been a matter of time until the fire caught.

Obviously the auto turn off stopped working! Always beware and be careful with space heaters!!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
I almost never leave anything running at home. You hear these type of stories too often! :eek:

Years ago, I left the dishwasher running when I went to bed. Something malfunctioned and the drying cycle didn't shut off all night. The cabinets surrounding it and the counter top were boiling hot! Not sure if that could've caught fire but not something I want to chance again! :eek: (Same with clothes dryer - I never leave it running overnight or when I'm out.)

Glad nothing more happened at your place!

It's so scary to us.
My parent in laws lost everything in a house fire a few years ago.
Two old wires that were left from a remodeling job years earlier stl had juice going thru them ( no one knew this) and arched a foot across and set the fire in the basement.
We hate fires here!!!!! My poor mother in law still is traumatized by it.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I've been sitting in preop for my nonIBD son to have a minor surgery for 7 hours. He was supposed to be brought in 5 hours ago. I literally called them 2.5 hours ago because we hadn't seen anyone for hours and I thought they'd forgotten us. They just came in now and said we're next. Apparently we were bumped for a couple emergencies.

Wow--that's a long time to wait--how frustrating. Hope he gets called back soon. Was he able to eat while waiting, at least, or was he NPO?

fuzzy butterfly

Oh no hun. Nightmare that hanging around one. Drives you batty doesnt it . I have had the emergency one crop up before now too. Sending hugs to you both n hope your seen very soon. Best wishes n hope all goes smoothly for the minor op . 💖

fuzzy butterfly

Talking about this has reminded of when my son was little. Games consoles were just comming into play in a big way. Where was my son.. out in the piddling down rain playing out. Could barely get that boy in the house, except when he was poorly. So he rarely went on his console even if i would have allowed him to spend hours on it. Which i wouldnt have done, so good job really lol ☺

crohnsinct

My kids tell me Facebook says it is National Hug Day! Here are some extras for all of you just because!
:ghug::ghug::ghug::hug::hug::hug:

Catherine

Miss almost 17. Comment after being admit to hospital on Saturday night.

I'm in lose lose situation.

Situation 1.
Lose: I'm fine. Lose because I will have stay here trying to sleep in a neck brace with no pillow.

Situation 2.
Lose: Because I have really damaged myself and need to be here.

:dusty::dusty:Situation 1:dusty::dusty:

Last edited:

crohnsinct

Where are all the girl scouts?! Isn't it cookie season? My girls are all older so none of their friends are girl scouts. I just had to buy the supermarket, rip off, thin mint cookie:voodoo:

Not the same!

We have a dangerous number of girl scouts in our neighborhood! We've ordered, but the cookies aren't here yet. I've got to start being a little more careful, though. A year of making high calorie food for E has left my jeans a little tight...

No girl scouts yet for us.:confused2:

Yea I agree pdx, why is it we get this food to plump them up but it's our waist line that pays the price.:yfaint:
Maybe I should buy as twice as much in hopes she'll eat more:highfive:.
Yea the sounds reasonable.:ylol:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Not related to crohns but just need a bit of info from you all...

My father was admitted to hospital a couple of weeks ago. Intitally they thought he had termporal arteritis (vasculitis of arteries in head) and started him on prednisone (50 mg). Subsequent tests have shown he did not have this so they are going to start tapering him off pred. He's been on pred for 14 days. The tapering schedule is moving to 40 today, 30 tomorrow and then reducing by 5 each day.

Because S has never been treated with steroids, my knowledge is limited to what I've read here. This seems to be a pretty quick taper - but, of course, I'm comparing it to the situations here and I'm dealing with an adult who, it turns out, does not have a condition that needs to be treated by the pred.

I'll spare you the details but hospital care can sometimes be lacking (as we all know), so I just want to make sure this is handled correctly. If the taper is too quick, what happens? What should I watch for?

Thanks guys! :)

Tess,
Since he has not been on it long term I think that should be okay. I would also have him take a vitamin B complex which helps when you wean off prednisone.