• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mucus and loose stools

...I was supposed to have my GI appointment on April 24th, but had to reschule, so FINALLY I get in today!

Thanks to lurking/semi-posting a bit on this board, I knew what to expect somewhat. I also knew that it was a possibility that the doctor would "brush off" my symptoms as unfortunately some do.

I admit that I'm a bit aggravated. I described every symptom (right lower quadrant pain daily (dull ache most of the time), mucus, loose stools, urgency, etc). He asked me if I was married and had a family. I said yes, in which he replied, "Do you think your kids are causing this"? Yeah, my children are totally making food run through butt! In other words, he was trying to brush it off as stress. :kissgrits: He also said it sounded like IBS. What's comical is how he doesn't think it might be related to IBD because I've maintained my weight and it came on suddenly. You'd think a doctor would know that not everyone will show text book symptoms of IBD. For crying outloud, there are people who don't even KNOW they have IBD and find out accidentally through a routine colonoscopy! Argh...

At least I have the colonoscopy scheduled. I'm not necessarily "hoping" for a diagnosis of Crohn's, but moreso just answers, in general. No answers since October and it feels like an eternity every time my stomach hurts and I have to run to the bathroom.

Argh! That is very frustrating...

I've encountered the 'it's just stress' and 'maybe it's IBS' suggestions from doctors... I know it seems like an uphill battle, but you know your body best. If you know something isn't right, keep asking questions! Don't give up! Of course, it would be great if you found out you didn't have Crohn's... but, like you say, it would be even better to just have some answers! Are there other doctors in your area that you can see?

I know it's frustrating! At least he ordered a colonoscopy -- hopefully that will give you some answers. Did he order blood work or other tests?

I know what you mean about not necessarily hoping for a diagnosis of CD. What's most important is that you just get the right diagnosis -- that way you have a better idea of what to expect, and you have a better chance of having your illness appropriately managed.

My GI also thought my symptoms sounded like IBS, but he was very thorough and ordered lots of tests to rule other things out -- we were both surprised when my colonoscopy revealed inflammation in the terminal ileum, and the pathology came back as "consistent with Crohn's disease." Like you, I have not lost weight. I have no family history of IBD, and my symptoms were fairly mild...

I'll confess that I had a hard time dealing with the diagnosis at first -- in truth, I was hoping that it was IBS (which is a weird thing to hope for, I know... and not that IBS is a picnic, either...). But then I realized that, whatever the diagnosis was, I was still experiencing the same symptoms, and now that I had the correct diagnosis, we were on the right path to managing it.

My point being... take comfort in the fact that you are on your way to getting answers -- whatever those answers turn out to be. (and if you don't think your GI is taking your symptoms seriously, find a new one! there are good ones out there!)

MsSickandTired said:
Argh! That is very frustrating...

I've encountered the 'it's just stress' and 'maybe it's IBS' suggestions from doctors... I know it seems like an uphill battle, but you know your body best. If you know something isn't right, keep asking questions! Don't give up! Of course, it would be great if you found out you didn't have Crohn's... but, like you say, it would be even better to just have some answers! Are there other doctors in your area that you can see?
Definitely! Yup, there are other GI's in the area -- I'll stick with this doc as far as the colonoscopy goes since it's already scheduled, but if I still feel the need to change I'll have no problems requesting another doctor. :)

prettykitty said:
I know it's frustrating! At least he ordered a colonoscopy -- hopefully that will give you some answers. Did he order blood work or other tests?

I know what you mean about not necessarily hoping for a diagnosis of CD. What's most important is that you just get the right diagnosis -- that way you have a better idea of what to expect, and you have a better chance of having your illness appropriately managed.

My GI also thought my symptoms sounded like IBS, but he was very thorough and ordered lots of tests to rule other things out -- we were both surprised when my colonoscopy revealed inflammation in the terminal ileum, and the pathology came back as "consistent with Crohn's disease." Like you, I have not lost weight. I have no family history of IBD, and my symptoms were fairly mild...

I'll confess that I had a hard time dealing with the diagnosis at first -- in truth, I was hoping that it was IBS (which is a weird thing to hope for, I know... and not that IBS is a picnic, either...). But then I realized that, whatever the diagnosis was, I was still experiencing the same symptoms, and now that I had the correct diagnosis, we were on the right path to managing it.

My point being... take comfort in the fact that you are on your way to getting answers -- whatever those answers turn out to be. (and if you don't think your GI is taking your symptoms seriously, find a new one! there are good ones out there!)
Great post -- and thank you!

He did order bloodwork (which they don't do a the facility, so I have to go see my PCP for that, grrr), so I'm going to try and squeeze that in this week if possible. I've had bloodwork quite a bit over the last few months from ER visits, OBGYN, etc. and only once did anything come back funky (extremely low potassium and magnesium), so we'll see. ::sigh::

J

JillianB82

I feel your pain! I went around & around for almost a year. Hundreds of blood tests taken...stool samples....rectal exams....they thought I had a parasite somewhere in my intes. After having 6 bloody stools over a 3 months period, they went me to a GI, where he ordered the colonoscopy & found the Crohns. It's not what I wanted to hear, but like you, I wanted to hear something.

Good luck to you!