• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mucus questions?!

Hi all,

Just wondering why us crohnies get lots of mucus?

Is it a sign of inflammation?

Thanks

Yvette.

Last edited:
From what I understand everyone has some mucus in your intestines. Normally not enough to see. When you get an inflammation, you produce more mucus. Similar to how your nose runs when you get sick. If you are getting a lot of mucus, it's a sign something is going on.

If only it was gold instead of mucus. We'd all be millionaires. ;)

Thanks! What a good way of explaining it :) roll on my colonoscopy next week, there's definitely something going on!

Actually, there can be many causes of mucus in stool. One cause is inflammation, for sure. However, it is seen in IBS patients a lot, and they don't get inflammation. A better way to check for inflammation is blood tests (although these can be iffy in some patient) and stool samples. For most people, the golden test is a colonoscopy. I see that you have one coming up. Good luck with it and I hope that you are able to get some answers.

Thanks for your posts :)

I had an ileocecael resection in December, and whilst it's stopped some symptoms I'm still having urgency, D, lots of mucus and sometimes just on it's own, a bit of blood (a very rare symptom for me), joint pain, itchy eyes and the pains are returning! Not so brilliant! I think there has been a lot of focus on my small bowel but not my large and previous scans showed crohns in both, so that's why I'm still under the surgeon n have the upcoming colonoscopy. He's left me on no meds until this too, which isn't helping. Only 6 days to go though :)

Ronroush - does acupuncture help? Every time I see a professional they always ask blood? Mucus?

Thanks Yvette.

Yvette, besides Crohn's Disease, I also have varicose veins. Since having accupuncture, I have bog had as much swelling in my legs. Also, in 2010, I had a small section of both my colon and small bowel removed. One of my doctor's associates said that a lot of times after a resection the disease returns.

Thanks :) I get it a lot too, sometimes just mucus comes out like D! I always get asked 'any mucus' but no one ever really explains why you get it! Hope you get some answers soon :)

I take it as a sign of inflammation, if there is any amount of it. A very small amount does not mean much, but any more than that is not normal. I take Turmeric and it stains the mucus somewhat, so I can see how much there is.

If my treatment is working there is less or none. If it is not, there is plenty.

Dan

have any of you tested for --- food problems ???? other then the standard allergy office IgE prick test in arm or blood sent to lab CAPRAST

Theres other testing - I came up negative on these above and was told i was crazy as i could tell things were not right.. you can have a reaction up to 3 days later which is not picked up in standard testing

Have you looked into the ELISA ACT/ bio http://www.elisaact.com/nonhc/our-unique-testing-method.asp they test all of these at the same time... IGM IGA IGG TCELL and IMMUNE complex. I did this and a ton of stuff came back...
I removed it and it helped

I read up on stuff and realized you can have gut reactions and blood reactions -- in the blood theres many different antibody / responses

SO i also did the www.enterolab.com testing and many things came back there too... Many of them matched my test above... this helped me figure out what foods I was reactive too.

I was tested for lactose came back negative at the allergy office... I also did the prick test negative , when I did both of these above IT said its was the worst.. butter , yogurt, milk... I never felt bad eating any , i removed and this helped

just a thought

As well any one test there AMCA and ASCA antibodies....

Thanks Dan :) good idea about turmeric! Mine is so visible it comes out in massive blobs! Yuk!

Thanks Ed, never thought of checking anything like that! I'll see what my colonoscopy says and if that comes back clear will definitely ask about testing.

Thanks both :)

Not sure if you know.... but theres about 25 ft section they dont go in in the colon when checking and then from the top endoscopy . When I had mine colon they saw nothing......41 I had my 6 th they never found anything each time....... just hemmorhoids . Then it failed and I got a fistual... had hemmorhoids since at least 6 years old they always treated them starting at 17 always came right back....

Today gone...zip none. Yeast is not seen in colon test

You go on canida forms many believe that yeast are in the blobs

Hi everybody, new here and still very much diagnosed (doctor is pushing for celiac or non celiac gluten intolerance.... eh)...

A random question but edcolumbia.... did they diagnose you with IBD? or with your tests has been primarily all food/yeast related?

They didn't find any Hpylori but i'm currently waiting on a comprehensive celiac panel for antibodies.... I had asked my doctor for a food allergy test but he said they are usually far too expensive and very inaccurate, with a food journal being best. (ugh)

For your question YJ120, i'm still undiagnosed but every so often i do get mucous, whats funny is it seems to have started post colonoscopy (that was over a month ago), and it only starts at the beginning of the stool, white/clear, around maybe a dime size or so. (completely alien looking, nasty!)

I had a colonoscopy ...endoscopy....had ulcers in upper tract ..bad hemmorhoids inflammation in lower colon. With abscess.. stool came out like a pencil ..ended up with a fistua

I took antibotics in the hospital.... I choice not to take any of the meds..everyone takes on here...after researching them I choice to look and seek out my problem....I feel it found and fixed it......
I had white stuff come out as well.at one time.......when you research this white stuff..on the candida forum
Etc....they point to candida or reseach points to fats....mucus is mucus thou..I use to get alot with stringy things. Alot more when I took antifugals....

I had every celiac panel done....nothing came back
Docs dont genetic test for this usually..I did my own
Came back with 4 copies in the hla dq 2 google it
I dont have celiac ...having alot of copies can be bad

If your in the usa and use labcorp look at your doc doing this test celiac hla diease association

My doc ran every test under the sign...another good one
Ibd expanded panel......this is a crohns or colitis blood test..
Look on lab corp as well...I came back with two antibodies high...crohns
Beginning stages

I went to the allergy office.....standard allergy they found nothing
My doc told me the same....make a journal

I found there was better testing thst docs and allergiest didnt know about or understand
My allergist tried to bash it as I realize d did know anything...she kept saying igg testing doesnt work
But the testing I found did far more igg igm iga t cell and immune complex....I also found enterlab......I realized docs only know or understand there small part

In my research...your gut is tied to your sinus.. if you have nasal drip bad bacteria or yeast your re infecting yourself...you wont hear that on here

Contact me if you have any questions.... I found my problem by using many tests...there not cheap but used all together you can get answers...standard tests and advanced testing your doc has no clue on or even understands..every thing my doc did didnt give me answers I found them thru advanced testing

When your lining is gone you can be reactive to alot of foods...the problem they cant tell you if your lining is gone....they also dont go into about a 20 foot section of the gut...where alot goes on

Last edited: